Senior Designer - Women's Handbags and Belts
As a global specialty retailer, Banana Republic is focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics. Our customers seek to make the most of every moment. How we do it is just as important as what we do. We value people who are confident, optimistic and curious, because we believe in unleashing creativity and greatness every day.
Who We Are: Banana Republic is a global apparel and accessories vertical specialty retail organization focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics designed for today with style that endures. We outfit those who see every day as full of opportunity and seek to make the most of every moment. At Banana Republic, we believe in seeing life a little differently, taking it all in, adding to it and making it your own. We live with style.
What We Do: With minimal supervision and high level creative direction, the Sr. Designer designs a large category or several medium-sized categories, recommends new product categories or business ideas, and is responsible for influencing key stakeholders to ensure big ideas translate from concept to implementation. This person will also lead a team of lower level designers to design and develop product.
- Researches trend in magazines and on-line. Inspiration shops domestically. May shop internationally.
- Manages a small team to design and develop product for assigned product categories.
- Translates seasonal concepts into key items, styles, and outfits. Ensures roadmap requirements are met.
- Selects fabric, color, print/pattern story, details and trims. May develop fabric and raw materials.
- Makes style-based grow/maintain/decline recommendations for a specific product categories based on trend and historical business performance.
- Present key items and styles at alignment meeting to Old Navy leadership team.
- Partners with merchandising and production to select styles for sampling, set up booth sets by shop by flow, finalize garment details, and complete fittings.
- Creates BOMS.
- Ensures sample development is kept within agreed upon development ratios. Adheres to product development deadlines.
- Works with factories in-country to develop samples for adoption.
- Approves styles, including fabrication, construction, color, details, trims and fit.
- Approves fit. Attend fittings with tech services, to ensure design integrity. Sends garment to final fit.
- Familiar with best and worst sellers across categories and adjusts development accordingly. Can connect sales results to see overarching themes in the business.
- Successfully delivers additional volume through a reinvention or introduction of new categories or classifications.
- Demonstrates full supervisory and leadership responsibilities, contributing to the motivation/development of team through professional leadership.
- Hires, mentors, and develops lower-level designers. Provides work direction to freelancers and lower level designers.
- College degree in Fashion Design or related field
- Eight to ten years design experience
- Experience working with cross-functional partners concerning design concepts, aesthetics, production, construction issues required.
- Mass retail experienced preferred
- Travel - 20% - 25% domestic and international may be required
- Defined aesthetic point-of-view
- Strong design and color sense.
- Knowledge of color theory
- Computer skills; proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop
- Proficient in Illustration
- In-depth knowledge of silhouettes, fabrication, color ways, sewing techniques, graphics and trim.
- Expert level of understanding of fabric and garment construction
- Demonstrated ability to interpret vintage and high fashion trends for a mass market, to evolve a big idea, and to design a cohesive collection
- Knowledge of fit and standard measurements
- Ability to apply and consolidate specialist skills and knowledge to lead and influence others
- Possess a working knowledge of other departments/categories and demonstrated ability to manage and balance conflicting priorities
- Conversant with the basics of merchandising and retail management
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top