Senior Database Engineer, Stores
Our past is full of iconic moments - but our future is going to spark many more. We're looking for the people who'll help make our next decade just as revolutionary as our first five. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, you're the right fit. Come grow with us.
GapTech is the engine behind Gap Inc.'s mission to be the world's favorite for American style. Our technologists are driving retail technology innovation, e-commerce for all Gap Inc.'s brands and delivering global, scalable and cloud-based platform solutions. Reimagining retail has never been more fun!
The Senior Database Engineer is a hands-on role responsible for installation, maintenance and monitoring of heterogeneous databases (Oracle/PostgreSQL/MySQL/MongoDB) that support enterprise applications and services. You work closely with application developers and enterprise architects and are experienced with value-driven approach of Agile to enable continuous delivery of high-priority database services.
- Collaborate with team responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of database servers - Oracle/MySQL/PostgreSQL/MongoDB.
- Contribute to the database design and planning process by delivering technical requirements and capacity analysis.
- Interface with Software Development, Architecture and Infrastructure teams to draft and approve detailed work plans and deployment schedules.
- Define hardware configuration requirements and monitoring requirements. Build out databases with due consideration for maintenance and required performance characteristics.
- Provide support and respond to escalations (on-call rotation) which will include highly technical problem solving.
- Act as a subject matter expert on related technologies, systems infrastructure, as well as a broad knowledge of all technologies used.
- Provide technical vision for specific areas of subject matter expertise. Participate in performing technical audits.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related, or equivalent work experience.
- 8+ years of system and storage engineering, minimum one year with PostgreSQL 9.0 or higher.
- Expert understanding of Oracle architecture, clustering, features, and products; develop and optimize physical design of MySQL database systems.
- Deep experience implementing database security; knowledge of disaster recovery principles and practices, including planning, testing, backup/restore.
- Perform deep level database tuning and performance monitoring (AWR, ASH, Statspack, OS Watcher, Grid, etc.).
- Plan growth and changes (capacity planning) in line with business flow; Setup and maintain documentation and standards.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Back to top