Scrum Master – Enterprise Systems
GapTech is the engine behind Gap Inc.'s mission to be the world's favorite for American style. Our technologists are driving retail technology innovation, e-commerce for all Gap Inc.'s business operations and delivering global, scalable, cloud-based platform solutions, using continuous integration and open source technology. Reimagining retail has never been more fun!
The Scrum Master role is responsible for ensuring iteration quality. This includes the management of iteration throughput, tracking, communicating and providing transparency of iteration health, team development, overall iteration facilitation and management of 3rd party vendors, as appropriate.Scrum Masters are also adept at overall continuous improvement practices and team empowerment skills.
- Apply agile software development principles and appropriate metrics in managing packaged software and customized development and guide teams to consistently deliver high quality working software
- Understands the work, facilitate team alignment on vision and scope of the work and use agile principles to deliver the work iteratively and incrementally
- Ability to leverage HCM (Human Capital Management) functional knowledge in support of scrum team's deliverables is a plus.
- Collaborate with others to create an environment where the team has the context and freedom to make the best decisions to maximize value for the organization
- Use retrospectives as a tool to identify opportunities for continuous improvement and be able to measure their impacts
- Leverages technical acumen to help optimize team performance across all roles within their team(s)
- Has visibility to overall project priorities and uses this to facilitate iteration planning, slice planning, story mapping.
- Creates an environment that enables a team to self-organize and continuously improve.
- Partners with Product Manager, Solution Architect, and third party vendor to develop appropriately sized stories with acceptance criteria.
- Selects and adapts effective project-level metrics over time to meet changing needs.
- Strong servant leader and actively coach's others in such practices.
Process and Procedure Management
- Broad knowledge and practical experience applying all aspects of Scrum Master practices and principles.
- Influences prioritization and iteration plan based on overall delivery milestones.
- Able to take direct actions that will unblock the team so they can deliver working code to production.
- Understands and can differentiate the different skills sets and types of work that can be handled by groups such as Infrastructure.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with other Agile teams and determine best practices for any given situation cross-teams
- Independently and proactively infer links between stories and deliverables to help effectively groom the backlog.
- Proactively manages scope changes and new stories to minimize risk to milestone delivery. Provides impact assessments to key stakeholders.
- Recommends alternative solutions in response to scope changes/additional stories. Adept and negotiating and facilitating discussions around scope changes with appropriate stakeholders & product management.
- Understand how effort change and non-functional requirements (performance, code quality, tech debt) affect scope and delivery.
Technical Integration Coordination
- Creates an environment where the team ensures stories are tasked to the appropriate level of technical detail; regardless of team composition.
- Understands and influences technical solutions; able to facilitate the discussion as needed.
- Actively collaborates with Technical Manager in collecting and understanding code quality metrics, works with engineers to address issues, and provides visibility and escalation to Technical Manager and/or Solution Architect.
- Partners with Technical Manager and/or Solution Architect to develop the team through agile software development practices (Test Automation, Continuous Improvement, Refactoring, etc.).
- Ability to influence technical integration activities across projects that affects the project team.
- A Bachelor's degree in Business or equivalent degree or work experience.
- 8+ years of professional project management; 2 years of relevant Scrum Master experience
- In depth knowledge of different Agile methodology experience; able to introduce different Agile concepts and principles to team members
- Broad and deep working knowledge of brand business and/or functional domain, business process and operations areas (in particular, Human Capital Management knowledge).
- Ability to influence and enable team self-organization and continuous improvement that can be measured through iteration results
- Proven organizational and functional awareness.
- Deep and detailed understanding of process and team responsibilities associated with code development and implementations and/or infrastructure designs and implementations
- Strength in building partnerships; working collaboratively with a variety of skills and levels
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Theresa engineers innovative tech solutions with a small agile development team. Specifically, they work to bring mobile applications to the hands of Gap’s store associates.
Back to top