Manager, This Way Ahead, Gap Inc.
This role could be based in Chicago, IL; Boston, MA; Toronto, ON; or Houston, TX. OVERVIEW This Way Ahead is Gap Inc.'s life skills and paid store internship program that helps low-income teens and young adults land first jobs at Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic stores. This Way Ahead currently operates in 12 cities across the U.S. and Canada. More than 3,800 teens and young adults have already participated in This Way Ahead, and that's just the beginning. By 2020, we expect that 10,000 program participants, putting us on a path towards hiring 5% of new entry-level store employees from This Way Ahead by 2025. This position -- Manager, This Way Ahead -- oversees cities in key regions of North America, and is accountable for leading cross-functional teams to meet the programmatic goals of individual cities. This individual plays a key role in adapting the program for scale. This role could be based in Chicago, IL; Boston, MA; Toronto, ON; or Houston, TX. COMPETENCIES Learning Agility Change Leadership Drives Results Collaboration & Influencing ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP Manages all aspects of This Way Ahead in Southeast, Midwest and Canadian regions. Leads cross-functional, cross-brand teams in each city to implement This Way Ahead, proactively refining program based on geographical nuances to achieve business and social impact goals. Partners closely with store operations teams and managers of other regions to ensure integrity of program implementation across three different brands and across different geographies. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES Manages all aspects of relationship with local nonprofit operating partner(s) and proactively ensures partners are performing to expectations and social and business impact goals are being met Partners with local city team (nonprofit + field leaders) to proactively adjust based on geographical nuances to achieve program goals without sacrificing youth outcomes Builds relationships with local nonprofit(s), internal business partners (e.g. field leadership), and key external business partners (e.g. Chamber of Commerce, workforce investment boards, local employer groups and other external partners) Leads process to refine training, tools and resources to support seamless execution of This Way Ahead in stores and across three distinct brands Executes internal program communications and supports internal marketing campaigns Manages relationship with store operations teams to ensure program fidelity across three distinct brands Implements This Way Ahead employee volunteer strategy, monitors goals and recommends refinements Supports efforts to test program models to build for scale and manages implementation of This Way Ahead in smaller markets (outside of key regions) Oversees grant strategy and operations for distribution center + remote locations Supports other Foundation ad hoc projects as needed
- 7-10 years of experience managing store operations at a multi-national retailer OR experience implementing programs/initiatives in nonprofit/public sector
- Ability to operate in a highly dynamic, matrixed environment with multiple competing priorities
- Strong written communications, project management and planning skills
- Ability to work independently to achieve goals and project milestones
- Understands and uses relationships to drive effective collaboration with peers and stakeholders
- Manages ambiguity with confidence and composure
- Flexible and comfortable managing change with a commitment to quality and deadlines
- Intellectually curious: appetite to actively learn and immediately apply learnings to make decisions and change behaviors
- Passion for youth development or social impact programs preferred
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top