Manager - Merchandise Planning
In 1969, Don and Doris Fisher opened the first Gap store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco. They wanted to make it easier to find a great pair of jeans, and they did. Their denim and records store was a hit, and today we're the world's most iconic American brand.
We're represented in more than 1400 stores in over 40 countries, and online. Our unique aesthetic is optimistic cool, elevated American style. We believe in staying true to our heritage while creating what's next.
Don and Doris Fisher always wanted to "do more than sell clothes," and today we're leaders in employee volunteering and social impact.
If you're full of ideas, if you want to work with phenomenal people, and if you think we should leave the world better than we found it, we'd love to meet you.
The Manager of Global Planning is responsible for partnering with the cross functional team on the development of product strategies and leading the creation of the financial strategy including sales, margin and inventory from department to class and from globe to region. The Manager ensures that hindsight, assortment framework and financial strategies are built in a way that service all global markets by gathering and assessing data of the market and partnering with the regional teams. The Manager is responsible for Pre-season strategies through to global investment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Manager, Global Planning oversees either a division or multiple global departments with the below responsibilities:
- Develops the tops down product strategies and financial plan inclusive of sales, margin and inventory from division to department and from globe to region.
- Responsible for building the assortment framework inclusive of style/sku targets, in store dates, good/better/best framework, and season code (time on offer).
- Partners with Design, Merchandising and Production for developing into a range that delivers IMU%.
- Partners with global marketing on key investments aligned to big ideas, campaigns and marketing.
- Accountable for the Inventory investment (style level buy) for Gap global business including US, Canada, Europe and Japan.
- Responsible for the management of basics inventory across the global markets ensuring the use of VMI.
- Responsible for delivering a flexible and responsive approach to inventory management inclusive of Test and Respond, Rapid Response and Open to buy.
- Partners with the Regional Inventory Management teams on delivering a comprehensive global hindsight to develop product and inventory strategies to service all global regions.
- Partners with Finance and Regional Inventory Management to create and manage to inventory budgets by quarter.
- Manage the financial success of a division or multiple divisions by meeting sales, gross margin, gross margin return on investment (GMROI) and inventory turn goals.
- Manage the financial success of multiple divisions by meeting sales, gross margin, gross margin return on investment (GMROI) and inventory turn goals.
- Lead the analysis of historical data and current trends to identify risks and opportunities for multiple departments.
- Collaborate with the global merchant team to develop and communicate a comprehensive pre-season strategy that aligns financial and product opportunities across multiple departments.
- Create pre-season sales, gm, and inventory plans by department and class that support product strategies.
- Manage the reconciliation of department targets and bottom-up plans.
- Recap and analyze actual sales results to plan.
- Validate and present department financial forecast and strategies in OTB process.
- Identify risks and opportunities across key product categories.
- Coach and train planners to identify key learnings and develop future strategies.
- Review buy plans/strategies and ensure plans meet financial targets.
Support a collaborative, innovative, and results-oriented environment with peers and cross-functional team.
Effectively influences senior leaders across the company both within Head Office and the Regional offices.
Leads effective team development and identifies succession planning across the organization.
Collaborates with peers to share best practices and develop strategic knowledge.
Minimum 5 to 6 years inventory management experience
Four year college degree or equivalent required
Ability to travel internationally
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Back to top