Manager, Corporate Strategy, Gap Inc.
The Corporate Strategy function at Gap Inc. is a critical part of defining our path forward. Through rigorous analysis, focus on the competition and customer, creative thinking, and deep partnership with the business, we develop the best choices for our company. We are responsible for the definition and evolution of our overall corporate strategy, for identifying organic and inorganic growth opportunities where we can create structural advantage, and for driving product- and customer-centric initiatives across our stores and digital channels.
The Corporate Strategy team reports to the Chief Customer Officer / EVP of Strategy, and provides strategic support to our CEO and Leadership Team. The team focuses on Corporate Strategy, Business Development, M&A and Innovation. The Corporate Strategy function encompasses a diverse and exciting set of career opportunities across divisions for the best and brightest talent. What connects us all is our focus on the future and compelling value creation.
As a Manager, you will be charged with driving critical projects to advance our priorities, growth and long-range plans. You will be asked to mentor and lead team members through efforts including enterprise growth, customer experience innovation, portfolio management, competitive and consumer insights, business development, M&A, and special projects for the CEO and Leadership Team. Your focus will be on how to best drive long-term, value-creating opportunities through deep partnership with C-level and Brand Presidents, as well as other strategy and operational leaders across the company.
- Strategic Orientation
- Customer Impact
- Innovation cultivator
- Change Leadership
- Drive Gap Inc. Corporate Strategy Team initiative identification, planning, and success. Activities include:
- Identify key issues, structure problems, and workplans that drive value creation
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis, including financial modeling
- Manage regular cadence of reporting and synthesize key insights
- Provide leadership and support to cross-functional workstreams
- Synthesize findings, develop presentations, and help communicate action items/recommendations to senior management and leadership team
- Identify opportunities and drive innovation in customer experience through new business models
- Support development of annual Long Range Plans across brands through research and analysis
- Support recurring efforts to drive insights and build knowledge of key market, competitor, and consumer dynamics. Activities include:
- Analyze competitor strategies and performance to identify threats/opportunities across channels and geographies
- Mine consumer insights data to identify actionable opportunities for Gap Inc.
- Support cross-functional business partners with analytic insights and problem solving
- Serve as a thought partner and liaison with business partners outside of Corporate Strategy at all levels, proactively identifying and communicating business issues and sharing best practices across brands
- Serve as a mentor and guide for more junior team members to support work planning, hypotheses generation, issue identification, analytical framework development, and career development/growth
- 4-7 years of professional work experience, preferably within strategic management consulting and retail
- Demonstrated track record as an outstanding problem-solver and strategic thinker
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently
- Able to quickly identify key issues and develop hypotheses
- Able to work in and bring structure to ambiguous environments
- Comfort with analytical and financial modeling, with deep understanding of how to link strategy to financial plans
- Able to synthesize disperse information into effective strategies and innovative insights, translating complex ideas into simple, actionable recommendations
- Very strong written and oral communicator with proven ability to connect with senior executives
- Strong ability and willingness to collaborate effectively; works well with others and is considered a true team player
- Very strong project and process management skills, including ability to independently disaggregate problems into defined workplans
- Able to effectively juggle multiple projects
- Ideal background is MBA with 2 years' experience at a leading strategy consulting firm
- Strong interest in and knowledge of retail industry, preferably with some experience in apparel
- Strong business acumen related to consumer-facing businesses and ability to assess impact of decisions on overall business performance
- Excellent interpersonal and people leadership skills
- Strong executive presence
- Able to influence using broad range of influence styles to drive desired result, especially with cross-functional business partners who are not direct line reports
- Ability to work in the details without losing sight of the big picture and deliver high-quality end-products on time
- Able to identify barriers to successful implementation and capable of working with teams/leaders to mitigate barriers
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top