General Manager - Valley Fair
Since the beginning, we've been inspired by everything women and girls are capable of, whether they're serious athletes or just getting into fitness. We create versatile premium performance apparel designed for a life in motion. Challenge fuels us and we are always reaching for the amazing.
We're looking for people who find inspiration in the same things we do: the limitless potential of women and girls everywhere. If you share our passion for a healthy, active lifestyle, personal growth, innovative product and creating rewarding experiences - join our community. Athleta is a certified B Corp - put simply we put people and planet right up there with profit and we're committed to using business as a force for good.
Alone we are strong, united we thrive. Together, we create the Power of She.
The General Manager is the brand advocate for Athleta Retail Stores. The GM is responsible for inspiring and motivating the team to create an exceptional customer experience to drive sales. The Athleta GM serves as the primary field representative for the brand's cross-functional team, collaborating on operations, merchandise product lines, inventory planning, brand marketing messages, and key assortment plans, while also developing and executing a brand-right customer service experience that exceeds expectations and sets Athleta apart from the competition.
The GM partners with the Market Visual Manager to ensure the store is visually compelling, meeting the brand's standard for visual presentation and product assortment. The GM partners with the DM/AM and HR to ensure the health and success of the business as it relates to training and development, guiding the store leadership teams to create an inspirational and differentiated employee and customer experience. This role assesses customer experience feedback and ensures the development of action plans for improvement, to address concerns, and maintain a consistently compelling, innovative experience that delights our customer and consistently exceeds her expectations. The GM models and can clearly articulate the Athleta vision and strategy to store team in a way that engages, motivates, and inspires a customer-centric culture.
- Create and oversee implementation of plans to drive key performance indicators (service, sales, and employee satisfaction) to maximize profitability.
- Influence and drive brand appropriate strategic merchandising to maximize sales.
- Drive brand loyalty by empowering team to create an outstanding customer experience.
- Champion community involvement efforts to drive brand awareness and loyalty.
- Develop and execute store operations and processes consistently.
- Establish and lead employee talent attraction and retention efforts (recruitment, training, development, coaching, etc) to maximize employee engagement, and ensure top talent for all store level leadership positions
- Ensures compliance within store to the district-wide operating strategy that includes all relevant people, operations, merchandising and financial aspects of our business
- In partnership with the MD, analyzes standard district and Company reports to identify ways to maximize business across all aspects of the business plan( Business, People, Operation, Merchandise)
- Identifies and monitors merchandise level and flow based upon category opportunities and strengths
- Teach, coach and implement store-level strategic merchandising to maximize sales while safeguarding brand standards
- Monitors back of house operations and processes to ensure compliance to brand standard
- Monitors shortage action plans to minimize shrink and achieve shrinkage goal
- Collaborates with the DM on area stores sales, payroll and operating budgets.
- Develops a CES/COS plan based upon customer feedback
- Develops ,implements and maintains a Positive Work Environment plan based upon EOS and other employee feedback including area-wide recognition
- Assures timely resolution to employee concerns and customer disputes
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Ability to establish & maintain effective relationships with employees and customers
- Possesses a strong character/ethical core - distinctly knows the difference between doing what is right vs. doing the right thing
- Ability to interact cooperatively and work as a team towards a common goal. Can communicate a compelling vision and manage successes and failings along the journey in a highly collaborative fashion
- Results driven - Inspires and motivates to exceed goals
- Skilled problem-solver - Applies rigorous logic & methods to solve ambiguous problems
- Effectively prioritizes and provides focus for self and team, with appropriate attention to detail
- Effective Communicator (verbal and written) - Clearly articulates point-of-view, adapts communication style to audience, listens and asks questions to solicit feedback, and disseminates information effectively
- Leads through coaching and motivation. Can build a winning team filled to achieve the same end-goal. Sets a compelling vision and manage successes and failings along the journey in a highly collaborative fashion.
- Demonstrates ability to build and maintain strong, business-oriented relationships with leaders at all levels.
- Possesses a strong visual merchandising sense; knows the power of styling to drive customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of in store systems, policy and procedure
- 5 years retail experience, small business owner/entrepreneurial experience a plus.
- Strong emphasis in customer service industry or field leadership.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including nights and weekends.
- Ability to travel as required
- Ability to lift and carry 30lbs
- Ability to maneuver around sales floor, back room and office areas
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Back to top