General Manager- Flood Building/Market & Powell
In 1969, Don and Doris Fisher opened the first Gap store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco. They wanted to make it easier to find a great pair of jeans, and they did. Their denim and records store was a hit, and today we're the world's most iconic American brand.
We're represented in more than 1400 stores in over 40 countries, and online. Our unique aesthetic is optimistic cool, elevated American style. We believe in staying true to our heritage while creating what's next.
Don and Doris Fisher always wanted to "do more than sell clothes," and today we're leaders in employee volunteering and social impact.
If you're full of ideas, if you want to work with phenomenal people, and if you think we should leave the world better than we found it, we'd love to meet you.
The Store Director exercises independent judgment and discretion in developing and articulating strategies to drive the business. The Store Director owns the store experience from a merchandise presentation and a customer experience perspective. The Store Director creates an environment that ensures customer satisfaction, maximum productivity and profitability by translating and implementing corporate and brand developed business plans. Providing our customers with an optimal shopping experience is our #1 priority. We work as a team, and team members are expected to perform a variety of cross-functional tasks as assigned by the leader on duty or as needed to ensure overall customer satisfaction. This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work people assigned to this job perform. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties are listed is not significant.
- Inspires and motivates others by presenting a compelling vision and direction
- Facilitates and cascades communication across the store organization and acts as liaison to field leadership
- Identifies, creates and manages the execution of store business plan that drives KPI results, and that maximize business opportunities
- Creates in partnership with Customer Experience Manager CES strategy to meet organizational and store goals
- Creates and oversees implementation of action plans to improve key performance indicators to maximize business opportunities
- Assesses the effectiveness of the management staff by providing the appropriate level of performance feedback
- Designs development and training plans for managers based on career aspirations and development needs
- Develops and writes Focal reviews for all managers
- Accountable for Focal process for all store employees
- Evaluates store sales and payroll goals on a daily basis using key business reports and payroll tools
- Directs brand appropriate strategic merchandising to maximize sales, in alignment with the VPA
- Drives brand loyalty by leading and modeling outstanding internal and external customer experience
- Hires, trains, develops and supervises Work Center Managers and Leads
- Develops hiring plan to meet specific needs of business and store, including a diverse applicant pool
- Approves all final hiring and termination decisions
- Coaches leadership team members on LOD skills
- Creates development and training plans for direct reports
- Recruits from a diverse applicant pool
- Develops succession plans to ensure career paths for all employees
- Leads and inspires customer centric culture by recognizing and rewarding team
- Responsible for employee dispute resolution and escalated customer situations
- Conducts weekly visual merchandising walk-through with key staff members
- Creates shortage action plan in partnership with the management team to minimize loss and achieve shrinkage goal
- Ensures community involvement to drive brand awareness and loyalty
- Reports to Regional Director
- Supervises Customer Experience and Brand Experience Managers
- Interacts with all levels of Headquarters and field management
- Expert in store systems, policy and procedure
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills with all levels of Headquarters and field management
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and project management skills
- Ability to analyze data to drive results
- Strong computer skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Ability to interact cooperatively and work as a team towards a common goal
- Ability to appropriately deal with employees and customers
- Ability to interpret all policies and procedures to resolve customer and employee issues
- Excellent time management skills
- Minimum 5 years retail experience, Gap Inc. experience preferred
- Strong emphasis/experience in the store operations function and/or customer service industry
- Ability to travel, including overnight as required
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including nights and weekends
- Ability to lift and carry 30lbs
- Regular attendance is an essential function of the job
- 4-year college degree or equivalent preferred
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top