General Manager - Brea Mall
ABOUT US: In 1969, Don and Doris Fisher opened the first Gap store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco. They wanted to make it easier to find a great pair of jeans, and they did. Their denim and records store was a hit, and it grew to become one of the world's most iconic brands.
Today we're represented in more than 1400 stores in over 40 countries, and online. We have headquarters in New York, London, Shanghai, Tokyo, and, of course, San Francisco.
Our unique aesthetic is optimistic cool, elevated American style. Our clothes are crafted with care, with focused attention to thoughtful design. We believe in staying true to our heritage while creating what's next.
Don and Doris Fisher always wanted to "do more than sell clothes." They wanted to support the people who ran their company, to be active in their communities, and to have a positive impact on the world. Their vision helped transform retail, and we're still following their lead.
We stand for freedom and possibility for all; we champion diverse ideas that transcend generations, geographies and genders.
So if you have ideas, if you're talented, if you want to work with phenomenal people, and if you think we should leave the world a little better than we found it, we'd love to meet you.
GENERAL SUMMARY: The General Manager is the leader with ultimate responsibility for the business strategy, customer engagement, operations, people management and merchandising in a Gap store. In this role, the General Manager exercises independent judgment and discretion in the development, implementation and communication of business plans that align with corporate and Brand strategies. The General Manager is responsible for the creation of a positive work environment that ensures both internal and external customer satisfaction, maximizes productivity and profitability. The General Manager owns the store experience from both a merchandise presentation and customer experience perspective. The General Manager is required to collaborate with peers, upper field leadership and cross-functional business partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The General Manager is also responsible for the Areas of Accountability that fall under each category below.
- Inspires and motivates others by presenting a compelling vision and direction.
- Creates business strategy for the store inclusive of forecasting sales that reflect both store trend and incorporates calculated risks to generate sales growth.
- Identifies, creates and manages the execution of store business plan that drives key performance indicator results and that maximize business opportunities.
- Creates and oversees implementation of action plans to improve key performance indicators to maximize business opportunities.
- Trains and develops team on business acumen to drive business performance. Uses store visits to highlight this strength and the stores results.
- Drives overall store earnings by driving top line sales while managing controllable contribution.
- Leads weekly management meetings that align with and drive the business strategy.
- Exemplifies the expectations of leader on duty and consistently models the brand service standard and sub-brand selling behaviors by performing the leader on duty role for a minimum of 25 hours per week.
- Creates and upholds a positive work environment for all employees.
- Is responsible for employee dispute resolution and escalated customer situations.
- Creates and oversees implementation of shortage action plan in partnership with the management team to minimize loss and achieve shrinkage goal.
- Leads the development of Customer Engagement Survey strategy to meet the organizational and store goals in partnership with the management team.
- Leads loss prevention awareness and uses loss prevention techniques, practices and metrics.
- Drives brand loyalty by leading and modeling outstanding internal and external customer experience.
- Leads community involvement to drive brand awareness and loyalty.
- Builds customer loyalty through in-store experience, utilization of social media and email capture.
- Oversees and ensures efficiency of all store daily operational procedures.
- Ensures store audit compliance results meet company standards.
- Evaluates store sales and payroll goals on a daily basis using key business reports and payroll tools and adjusts according to business needs.
- Directs brand appropriate strategic merchandising to maximize sales in alignment with the Visual Planning Assessment.
- Leverages the use of gross margin report and financial resources to increase productivity.
- Conducts weekly visual merchandising walk-throughs with key staff members.
- Creates on-boarding plans and facilitates Welcome to Gap Inc. for direct reports.
- Designs development and training plans for managers based on career aspirations and development needs.
- Creates development and training plans for direct reports.
- Provides on-the-job training to all direct reports on company initiatives and standards to ensure understanding of company direction.
- Hires, trains, develops and leads the management team. Provides appropriate level of performance feedback to increase confidence and capability.
- Leads and inspires customer centric culture by recognizing and rewarding teams and creating a positive work environment.
- Develops succession plans to ensure career paths for all employees. Encourages employees to pursue internal opportunities.
- Coaches and holds leadership team members accountable on leader on duty skills, job accountabilities and competencies.
- Assigns work to management team and other employees as necessary.
- Directs work of management team and other employees as necessary.
- Develops and writes focal reviews for all managers.
- Accountable for focal process for all store employees.
- Facilitates and cascades communication across the store organization and acts as liaison to field leadership.
- Develops hiring plan to meet specific needs of business and store, including a diverse applicant pool.
- Approves all final hiring and termination decisions.
- Builds a network of qualified internal and external leadership talent.
- Business Acumen
- Building Effective Teams
- Customer Focus
- Confronting Direct Reports
- Directing Others
- Motivating Others
- Presentation Skills
- Priority Setting
- Time Management
- Reports to District Manager.
- Supervises Assistant General Manager and Assistant Manager.
- Interacts with all levels of headquarters and field management.
- Works closely with peers in and outside immediate region/district as required.
1055 BREA MALL
- Expert in store systems, policies and procedures.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills with all levels of headquarters and field management.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and project management skills.
- Ability to analyze data to drive results.
- Strong computer skills.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Ability to interact cooperatively and work as a team towards a common goal.
- Ability to appropriately deal with employees and customers.
- Ability to interpret all policies and procedures to resolve customer and employee issues.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Minimum 5 years retail experience, Gap Inc. experience preferred.
- Strong emphasis/experience in the store operations function and/or customer service industry.
- Ability to travel, including overnight as required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including nights and weekends.
- Ability to lift and carry 30lbs.
- Ability to maneuver around sales floor, back room and office areas.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of the job.
Minimum Educational Level:
- 4-year college degree or equivalent preferred.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top