Field Internship Training (FIT) - Jackson Heights/82nd Street
The FIT intern is a dynamic, hard-working individual with vision, initiative, excellent communication skills, and a sharp focus. The FIT intern will be responsible for completing a 10-week in-store training program that ensures strong operations and leadership skills. Upon successful completion of the program, the intern will be offered a store leadership role.
The intern will be placed in a store of 30-60 team members. They will be responsible for completing all aspects of the internship including reading, activities, calls and experiences, providing leadership that will uphold the Gap Inc customer experience vision. The FIT will learn how to create a great place to shop for our customers and a great place to work for our employees. They will assist with driving business by overseeing a store with sales ranging from 2-7 million and will learn how to lead an exceptional customer experience through visual merchandising, strategic product placement, store operations, financial acumen and human resource activities and experiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Learn to manager through effective planning, prioritizing, communication and follow up
- Exposure to developing and communicating short term and long term business plans that set clear performance objectives for the store team
- Observes, setting team direction, supporting priorities and maximizing the internal and external customer experience
- Utilizes company tools and sales reports to analyze trends and identify business opportunities
- Reflects weekly to measure and receives feedback on individual performance
- Partners with the General Manager to review the scheduling plan to effectively manage workload, support business objectives and maximize productivity
- Discusses short term and long term recruiting, hiring and staffing strategy to support the business
- Participates in interviews, hiring and training associates
- Creates a positive work environment through ensuring all policies are followed
- Partners with the General Manager to establish clear performance goals for 10 week program to ensure objectives are accomplished
- Passion for creating an extraordinary customer experience
- Students of all majors are welcome to apply. A GPA of 2.7 or better is preferred.
- Past retail experience is preferred but not required.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication, presentation, delegation, follow-up skills
- Excellent attention to detail
37-32 82ND STREET
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers and store personnel
- Maneuver around Sales floor, stock room and office
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the internship activities, and the business, including evening overnight and weekend shifts.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top