Divisional Merchandise Manager, Women's Denim & Bottoms
- San Francisco, CA
About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path. From day one, we've been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we're family.
About the role
The Divisional Merchandise Manager develops, communicates and drives long-term merchandising strategies that meet or exceed financial goals and customer expectations. Motivates and coaches the Merchandising team to be customer-focused, innovative, fast and team-oriented in their work. Communicates the seasonal merchandising vision and ensures that short-term initiatives are aligned with long-term strategies. Models smart risk-taking in investment strategies. Acts as a corporate citizen through sharing best in practices and key learnings across Divisions and Brands. Is a role model and mentor within the company.
What you'll do
- Strategically lead the success of the Division through developing and driving a merchandising strategy that meets or exceeds the company's financial goals. Prioritize cross-functional partnership and Merchandising team initiatives to meet customer expectations and ensure resource efficiency and effectiveness.
- Annually develop and gain approval for long-term Divisional strategies and prioritize annual initiatives to support Brand strategies and increase earnings.
- Ensure Department seasonal strategies tie to annual plan and provide an commercial & balanced assortment strategy for the store & online experience and support long-term Brand and Division goals.
- Ensure product assortments between all Departments within the Division are aligned and not duplicative.
- Provide clear direction for seasonal investments to ensure that smart risks are being taken in the appropriate Departments and that financial targets are met.
- In close partnership with IM counterpart, gain approval for the Division's seasonal investments and quarterly financial plans.
- Set the Division's price position within the competitive landscape.
- Capitalize on business opportunities and risks in-season through utilizing sales performance and marketplace information provided by the cross-functional team.
- Change future Division strategies in-season where needed and provide appropriate and timely direction to the cross-functional team in order to react quickly to customer and business trends.
- Provide clear and timely communication ensuring that the merchandising team is aligned towards a shared vision and a common goal. Communicate with conviction to diverse audiences. Be a good listener.
- Communicate long-term and seasonal Division strategies to key functional areas in order to focus the team towards a common goal.
- Actively listen to all members of the Merchandising team to ensure that innovative ideas are surfaced and acted upon, and that the team is empowered to own the business.
- Share information cross-brand and cross-channel where appropriate.
- Communicate the Division's product development and marketing needs.
- Motivate, coach and inspire the Merchandising team to drive for results. Act as a positive and solution-oriented role model. Create and maintain a learning environment where the development of employees is a priority.
- Partner with employees to provide them with the appropriate resources and training for their development.
- Grow and challenge high potential employees through stretch assignments while acting quickly on employees whose work consistently falls below the company's standards.
- Help lead the resource and succession planning activities for the Division.
- Identify talent and groom future leaders.
- Align resources appropriately in order to build an organization that is set up for success.
- Build strong working relationships with the Heads of each functional area within the Division as well as other Division leaders within the brand.
- Act as a role model and provide leadership within the Brand by motivating and inspiring team members to work cooperatively and to remain focused.
- Create and maintain an open and inclusive environment that recognizes employees based on the strength of their effort
- Bachelor's degree.
- Previous experience as Divisional Merchandise Manager is required.
- 7-10 years of retail buying experience.
- 4-6 years of management experience.
- Ability to transport, maneuver and visually evaluate merchandise.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Think strategically, conceptually and creatively -must have, and be able to articulate, a vision that is sharable by all key stakeholders.
- Strong Business Acumen; expert knowledge of financial measurements and how to impact them. Identify areas of the business that need attention and have the ability to analyze the details when appropriate.
- Demonstrate agility in leadership style and flexibility of approach; has the ability to think strategically (high-level) and tactically (to drive execution)
- Must be the market-facing expert for the business (competitive and customer). Must be consumer centric and lead the teams to make decisions based on our customers wants eeds
- Strong gut instinct and passion for product; take smart risks and be innovative.
- Passion for product - can translate trend to commercial big ideas, identify the next big thing
- Highly skilled collaborator who consistently finds the balance between shared purpose and healthy conflict; open-minded to and interested in others' opinions.
- Demonstrate excellent leadership, management and people development skills. Accurately assess employee strengths and developmental needs.
- Create and maintain a cooperative and motivating team environment that promotes high performance standards and attainment of goals.
- Perspective and "Global Thinking"; must consider the impact and implications on other components of the organization when making decisions.
- Strong influencing skills; must be able to effectively influence and negotiate with diverse audiences without damaging relationships.
- Formulate long-term goals and approve shorter-term tactical plans that are cost-effective, efficient and realistic.
- Defend and effectively sell a point of view to both peers and upper management.
- Analyze a problem skillfully, formulate a logical rationale for the decision and take action. Be solution-oriented.
- Direct subordinates effectively towards the accomplishment of tasks and goals. Delegate responsibility and decision-making appropriately to other personnel.
- Drive change when appropriate - be a change champion.
- Display managerial courage.
- Adapt easily to diverse audiences and environments.
- Possess strong presentation, listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- See more of the benefits we offer.
Back to top