Director - Product Strategy and Market Insights Analytics
In 1969, Don and Doris Fisher opened the first Gap store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco. They wanted to make it easier to find a great pair of jeans, and they did. Their denim and records store was a hit, and today we're the world's most iconic American brand.
We're represented in more than 1400 stores in over 40 countries, and online. Our unique aesthetic is optimistic cool, elevated American style. We believe in staying true to our heritage while creating what's next.
Don and Doris Fisher always wanted to "do more than sell clothes," and today we're leaders in employee volunteering and social impact.
If you're full of ideas, if you want to work with phenomenal people, and if you think we should leave the world better than we found it, we'd love to meet you.
We're looking for intelligent, data-driven professionals to join our Product Strategy & Market Insights team to advance our analytic capabilities around understanding the competitive environment, customer behavior, and key growth opportunities across our product categories, markets, and channels. As a Director of Analytics, you will be primarily responsible for leading the efforts of how we source, synthesize, and leverage external data sources (global industry/market data, consumer data, etc.) to inform internal decisions. Additionally, you will help influence the way that we analyze opportunities to differentiate and fine-tune our product, investment, and marketing strategies across geographic markets (US, EU, JPN, CH) and sales channels (Specialty, Outlet, & Online).
- Influence the organization's decision making by providing compelling, intuitive, and actionable views of market & competitor insights, consumer insights, macro trend insights, and internal performance analysis
- Principally responsible for managing & continuously improving external analytics from a wide range of data sources, both quantitative and qualitative. Will also serve as a thought partner and provider of select internal analytics when needed.
- Build & continuously improve our approach to leveraging global market data to improve internal decision making around growth opportunities & category strategies, both at a global level and a market/channel level
- Maintain market share dashboards which provide high level benchmarking
- Build & manage detailed market share views to enhance internal decision making
- Synthesize key market trends & growth opportunities that emerge from the data, to ensure business owners have a pulse on the external environment
- Drive relationships with external data providers to ensure continuous improvement in data quality
- Using multiple external data sources, build a scalable approach to competitive benchmarking for product assortments & marketing activities
- Synthesize key observations and recommended actions to improve our future strategies
- Identify patterns over time to identify how the competitive environment is evolving
- Partner with other internal analytic teams (Inventory Strategy, Pricing Strategy, Inventory Management, IT, etc.) to drive towards more intelligent & intuitive future reporting, with the end goal of making the organization more intelligent and equipped to make better decisions
- Leveraged all aforementioned analytic tools & insights to influence long range strategies across products, markets, and channels.
- Strong interest in and knowledge of retail industry, preferably with some experience in apparel
- Strong business acumen related to consumer-facing businesses and ability to assess impact of decisions on overall business performance
- Passion for delivering business intelligence and market insights in a way that's intuitive and actionable
- Demonstrated track record as an outstanding problem-solver and strategic thinker
- Able to quickly identify key issues and develop hypotheses
- Able to work in and bring structure to ambiguous environments
- High degree of comfort with analytical and financial modeling, with deep understanding of how to link strategy to financial plans
- Able to synthesize disperse information into effective strategies and innovative insights, translating complex ideas into simple, actionable recommendations
- Very strong written and oral communicator with proven ability to connect with senior executives
- Ability to work in the details without losing sight of the big picture and deliver high-quality end-products on time
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently and to influence cross-functional business partners who are not direct line reports
- Excellent interpersonal and people leadership skills
- Strong ability and willingness to collaborate effectively; works well with others and is considered a true team player
- Strong executive presence
- Able to identify barriers to successful implementation and capable of working with teams/leaders to mitigate barriers
- Able to influence using broad range of influence styles to drive desired result
- Very strong project and process management skills, including ability to independently disaggregate problems into defined workplans
- Demonstrated ability to effectively juggle multiple projects
- Strong working knowledge of analytical tools, such as MS Excel, MS Access, & Power BI.
- Experience with data visualization strongly preferred
- Experience with advanced analytical tools such as SQL, Python, & R a plus
- 4+ years of managerial experience
- 7-10 years of professional work experience, preferably within retail/consumer industry and/or consulting
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top