Director, Product Development - Knits/Sweaters, Banana Republic Factory Stores
As a global specialty retailer, Banana Republic is focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics. Our customers seek to make the most of every moment. How we do it is just as important as what we do. We value people who are confident, optimistic and curious, because we believe in unleashing creativity and greatness every day.
Who We Are: Banana Republic is a global apparel and accessories vertical specialty retail organization focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics designed for today with style that endures. We outfit those who see every day as full of opportunity and seek to make the most of every moment. At Banana Republic, we believe in seeing life a little differently, taking it all in, adding to it and making it your own. We live with style.
What We Do: The Director of Product Development manages the product line creation by partnering cross-functionally to develop, communicate, and execute to merchandise strategies and financial targets. They work closely with local teams in New York as well as Sourcing and Product Development partners in Asia to deliver on product design and brand aesthetic while effectively managing average unit cost.
- Develop category product development strategies that align with global sourcing and vendor strategies.
- Provide key insights on merchandising and design-driven product decisions based on category or vendor strategies.
- Leverage technical knowledge to troubleshoot and resolve issues that are unique in nature and may require a novel approach.
- Drive communication between brand teams and Asia-based product teams to ensure strategic business alignment and optimal responsiveness.
- Understand divisional and cross-functional goals and work with team to develop supporting strategies.
- Drive responsive strategies by working cross-functionally to identify fabrics for rapid response and test and respond.
- Manage development metrics set for global brand.
- Drive fabric strategies by developing product that meets fabric expectations and providing recommendations on fabrics to platform, position, and leverage.
- Coordinate product development travel with Design that focuses on developing product that meets aesthetic, quality, and cost goals.
- Manage seasonal and monthly booking processes, in addition to supporting in season product management.
- Global Product Development significant experience in driving global product development and understands design, merchandising, and vendor/category management
- Problem Solver- can proactively solve problems and effectively manage multiple challenges.
- Global Business Acumen- experience executing on multi-year operational goals, incorporating knowledge of production trade regulations, testing protocol, product integrity, production cycle timeline, fabric and garment construction.
- Team Leadership- has successfully led large cross-category, cross-functional, global teams (direct and dotted line reporting relationships)
- Collaboration- Proven ability influencing and making decisions cross-functionally in a matrix environment where speed and cultural sensitivity is crucial.
- Personal Leadership- demonstrated executive presence, presentation, influencing, and collaboration across a leadership team.
- Change Leadership- experience leading with and without authority to influence others and drive decision-making
- Talent Builder- proven track record of assessing, attracting, developing best-in-industry teams.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top