Director - Photo & Concept, Gap Brand
In 1969, Don and Doris Fisher opened the first Gap store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco. They wanted to make it easier to find a great pair of jeans, and they did. Their denim and records store was a hit, and today we're the world's most iconic American brand.
We're represented in more than 1400 stores in over 40 countries, and online. Our unique aesthetic is optimistic cool, elevated American style. We believe in staying true to our heritage while creating what's next.
Don and Doris Fisher always wanted to "do more than sell clothes," and today we're leaders in employee volunteering and social impact.
If you're full of ideas, if you want to work with phenomenal people, and if you think we should leave the world better than we found it, we'd love to meet you.
The position of Director of Photo & Concept will be responsible for every element of the way the Gap brand presents itself visually. Reporting directly to the Senior Director of Creative Marketing, this role encompasses every step in the photography and video process, from concepting to final execution. This role must exhibit a passion for storytelling, fashion, video and photography as well as being a true cultural thought-leader. As a visual guardian of our brand across channels, the Director of Photo & Concept will be focused on elevating every facet of our brand image, including having strong opinions on styling & casting at every level, from campaign to online product photography. A storyteller at heart, a successful candidate will excel at weaving together culture, product messaging and overall brand vision to create magnetic narratives that engage our customer across a multitude of brand touch points.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Crafts the brand storytelling experience continually.
• Brings and maintains brand relevance to the consumer.
• Creates campaign level work that is filtered throughout all brand channels.
• Engages with and tracks all levels of outside talent, from casting to collaborators.
• Collaborates with key cross-functional partners and external agencies to ensure that concepts meet business needs and ensure strategic and tactical creative objectives are met.
• Delivers exceptional creative in all vehicles, on time and integrated with seasonal briefs.
• Drives team to creative excellence with on-brand, innovative photography.
• Collaborates with peers to concept seasonal campaigns that support the overall branding and marketing objectives across all mediums including store windows and signage, site and emails.
• Researches competitive landscape across global markets to identify seasonal trends, fashion trends, artistic inspiration and references.
• Ability to work within the brand's established visual guidelines.
• Enforces and evolves the brand voice and identity over time.
• Works closely with senior management to guide department needs.
• Works with in-house photo art directors to ensure quality and consistency.
• Directs and collaborates with off-site photo art directors.
- At least 7-10 years experience in a fashion, editorial, retail and/or advertising environment. Strong creative background; a minimum of 6 years of photographic direction, and art direction. Experience managing creative teams.
• Demonstrated ability to execute large scale campaign level work.
• Ability to succeed in a deadline-oriented, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work within the established budget and time constraints.
• Skilled at building stakeholder buy-in.
• Super attentive to detail while being able to break free from day-to-day strategic shifts.
• Experienced at working in large entities with complex organizational structures.
• Strong working knowledge of photo shoot production processes.
• Strong working knowledge of ecomm photo studio processes.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Back to top