Director of Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
The Director, Digital Marketing, Search Engine Optimization is a new role within Gap Inc.'s Customer Strategy Team (CST). This role will be responsible for developing the strategy and driving innovation Gap Inc.'s for Natural Search (SEO) programs for the Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Athleta brands globally. The role will manage the relationships across the brands and drive the evolution of SEO for Gap Inc. In addition, this person will partner with other teams across Gap (e.g. Product and Marketing) to ensure Gap Inc.'s e-commerce platforms continually improve the overall customer shopping experience and drive omnichannel sales. The ideal candidate will have deep SEO knowledge, including the ability to build a strategic plan for the program, develop best practices and execute tactical changes across all digital touch points (mobile, tablet and desktop). The Director will need to have the analytical skill-set to report performance, lead data-driven decisions and analyze impact to business for key stakeholders. This position will lead building out the SEO organization.
- Leads and inspires functional team to be: product obsessed, customer-focused, innovative, fast-moving and team-oriented.
- Build SEO team and ensure priorities are aligned with the individual brand marketing calendars.
- Director will be responsible for significant cross-functional leadership and influence, including Product, Web Content Development, Brand Web Merchandising and Brand Marketing.
- Role will have significant complexity, including driving technical implementation of SEO best practices across the organization.
- Define the evolution of and develop the strategy for Gap Inc.'s digital marketing strategy as it relates to SEO, including all brands operating in the US, Canada, Europe and Japan.
- Develop SEO best practices and share across the organization, including taxomony, product naming standards, site architecture, canonicalization, link-building and meta tags
- Develop monitoring and measurement plans for SEO
- Serve as the Gap Inc. channel expert for SEO and regularly meet with Brand teams, Product Management, Web Merchandising, Technology, Business Intelligence, Analytics & Strategy to ensure channel delivers an extraordinary, customer-centric marketing experience.
- Monitor industry trends to identify growth opportunities and create a product and testing roadmap (e.g. A/B and MVT)
- Serve as the senior point of contact to relevant vendors and manage them to deliver results
- Have a true passion for SEO and customer-centricity
- Bachelor's degree required. MBA preferred.
- At least ten (10) years of SEO experience with a proven track record of driving innovative strategies in search, preferably at a multi-channel retailer
- Proven success in utilizing analytics to provide strategic recommendations and drive concrete action
- Experience successfully managing vendors and consultant resources
- Strong project prioritization with little intervention from manager; ability to execute and drive momentum
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral. This person should be able to clearly articulate SEO ideas, strategies and tactics to audiences with varying knowledge of SEO (novices to technical experts), and influence change.
- Experience in key tools and technologies, such as Conductor, Bright Edge, Screaming Frog, SEMRush; Microsoft Suite is a given
- Experience with SearchDex strongly preferred
- Ability to deal with change with a passion for innovation and creative problem solving. Technical proficiency in common online technologies.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Theresa engineers innovative tech solutions with a small agile development team. Specifically, they work to bring mobile applications to the hands of Gap’s store associates.
Back to top