Director of Merchandising - Banana Republic - Japan
As a global specialty retailer, Banana Republic is focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics. Our customers seek to make the most of every moment. How we do it is just as important as what we do. We value people who are confident, optimistic and curious, because we believe in unleashing creativity and greatness every day.
Banana Republic is a global apparel and accessories vertical specialty retail organization focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics designed for today with style that endures. We outfit those who see every day as full of opportunity and seek to make the most of every moment. At Banana Republic, we believe in seeing life a little differently, taking it all in, adding to it and making it your own. We live with style.
What We Do: The Merchandise Manager leads the Japan Omni Merchandising and cross-functional team for Banana Republic.
• Own the product assortment strategy for Japan stores and on line. Create a curated assortments for shop and shops and multiple levels along with online for the Japan market.
• Develop, communicate and drive Japan omni long range and seasonal business strategies that meet or exceed financial goals and customer expectations for all divisions.
• Develop and manage the Merchandising team of six. Clear understanding of the Japanese omni customer, product and competitor focused; innovative; fast and team-oriented in their work.
• Develop and gain approval for Japan Market long range and seasonal global omni strategies and prioritize tasks to support those strategies and meet financial targets.
• Partner with cross-functional team members to develop Divisional key concepts, key items, omni marketing stories, promotional strategies and site merchandising strategy to ensure that the collection is commercially viable and provides an exciting digital and in-store customer experience.
• Partner with in country team to communicate clear product strategies, growth opportunities for the market and key market trends.
• Partner with Japan Omni Planning team on divisional investments to ensure that smart risks are being taken, basic businesses are protected and financial targets are met.
• Align with design on garment aesthetic and fit for the Japanese customer.
• Ensure product execution meets the design aesthetic as well as commercially acceptable quality standards.
• Present assortment to senior management for approval by developing presentation structure and content, and ensuring appropriate analysis is completed.
• Identify business opportunities and risks in-season through analyzing sales performance and gathering marketplace information.
• Partner with the Japan planning team to maximize in-season sales and margin.
• Change future Divisional strategies in-season where needed and provide appropriate and timely direction to the cross-functional team in order to react quickly to customer and business trends.
• Assess direct and aspirational competition with respect to financial condition, trends, marketing and product strategy; react accordingly to ensure market leadership in Japan.
• Partner with design on developing Japan exclusive product.
• Travel in market three times a year.
• Strong eye for product across all divisions, understanding of Japanese target customer, and clear point of view around product assortment and business opportunities.
• Deep knowledge of omni-channel competitive set with ability to anticipate trends and drive market share growth.
• Experience in successfully leading a cross functional team. Ability to coach, mentor and develop across multiple levels of Merchandising. Manage and develop a team on six.
• Demonstrate strong leadership ability in inspiring and motivating teams. Drive partnership with in country team communicate product strategy and offering.
• Demonstrate smart risk taking and strategic thinking in product and investment strategies.
• Possess strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrate adept listening, verbal, written, negotiation and presentation skills.
• Possess a clear understanding of financial measurements and how to impact them.
• Demonstrate consistent ability to drive financial results and goals.
• Knows how to drive the business by balancing the Art and Science.
• Possess strong presentation, listening, verbal and written communication skills.
• Possess knowledge of production processes.
• Demonstrate the organizational ability to facilitate multitasking in a fast-paced environment.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Experience as a Merchandiser Manager or equivalent.
• Experience managing business across multi channels/genders and markets preferred.
• Product development experience preferred.
• International merchandising experience preferred.
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
• 5-7+ years of retail buying experience.
• 2-4+ years of management experience.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Back to top