Director - Men's - Digital Merchandising
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path. From day one, we've been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. Today, customers can find fabulous fashion at affordable prices online and in one of our 1,000+ stores globally. Old Navy celebrates a workplace that's just as diverse as our customers. Fun, fashion, family and value are at the heart of everything we do. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we're family.
Old Navy - a brand for everyone a place for you!
JOB SUMMARY: The Director, Digital Merchandising is responsible for the creation of a comprehensive seasonal framework that aligns product strategies with financial goals, ensuring that end to end sales, gross margin, and inventory strategies hit divisional and ONOL plans. Lead a team of Senior Digital Merchandisers, Digital Merchandisers, and Assistant Digital Merchandisers to create a compelling seasonal framework by division that aligns product strategies with financial goals. Partner and collaborate with Global Merchandising to ensure the seasonal, global assortment meets the online customer and business needs. Accountable for the category site merchandising strategies, ensuring alignment with the product, financial and marketing goals. Successfully coach, develop and lead a Digital Merchandising team.
- Lead the development, execution and communication of the management of inventory that supports the merchandising, marketing and financial objectives of a key category within Old Navy Online.
- Accountable for the development and communication of category product strategies that align with financial goals for the season.
- Lead the financial success of a division or category by meeting sales, GM, and inventory goals.
- Accountable for monthly OTB forecast for a division or category, and partner with the ONOL Strategy team to identify financial risk and solutions to hit sales and inventory plans.
- Lead divisional or category pricing recommendations and strategies that align with the financials plans.
- Lead the development of seasonal hindsight and the strategic opportunities use to inform pre-line.
- Drive for continual innovation and improvement--recommend strategies to be leveraged across divisions and departments.
- Drive innovation in all milestones through the ability to influence business partners.
- Lead the development of strategic vision for category positional across the division with perspective to the overall business.
- Lead the identification of areas of opportunity to make meaningful investment shifts supported by marketing and site execution.
- Lead and support strategic product vision that delivers against assortment.
- Lead team through web management to create a compelling product experience on the site, to include inspirational merchandise presentation, simple and intuitive category navigation and clear and accurate product details.
- Lead partnership with product and design teams to communicate knowledge and understanding of the customer experience as it relates to product, shopping paths, experience and interaction with marketing.
- Lead a cross-functional team to deliver on a strategically defined linking strategy that aligns to marketing ideas (tied to investment) to optimize conversation and drive the customer to the best possible site experience.
- Deliver on best in class product assortment architecture across the division.
- Provide clarity to team around the bigger picture implications of the site experience (interplay across the entire division of sorts experiences, linking strategies, and how they inter-relate to overall marketing experience.
- Drive best in class experiences across both mobile and desktop supported by a deep knowledge of technical features and functionality with an understanding how the site functions (limitations and opportunities).
- Motivate, build and develop skills of the team.
- Challenge business partners when appropriate to prevent re-work, redundancies, and inefficiency.
- Foster open communication and a team environment with all business partners.
- Hold self and others accountable for work commitments and outcomes.
- Cultivate an environment of continuous learning with development opportunities and clear career-paths ensuring a strong and diverse talent pipeline.
- Lead operational leadership - ensure balanced workload, facilitate divisional and cross-functional meetings as appropriate, regulate project timelines and ensure all deliverables are met.
Minimum Education level:
- BA or BS Preferred
- 7-10 years' merchandising, retail buying, or equivalent experience
- 4-6 years of managing a team
Knowledge, skills, & abilities:
- Business Acumen/Drives Results; Embodies curiosity and takes action to drive results, digging into the business to find opportunities for improvement. Asks the right questions of the team to uncover business opportunities. Takes actions to improve ability to deliver against existing goals. Sets new and stretch goals to self and team. Possess a clear understanding of financial measurements and how to impact them.
- Customer Focus; Demonstrate knowledge of the target customer and of product trends.
- Demonstrated Strategic Orientation; ability to anticipate and articulate future business needs and respond with the appropriate strategies.
- Innovation Cultivator; exceptional ability to problem solve, develop creative solutions, and demonstrate resourcefulness.
- Proven track record in leading a team to execute on an aligned multi-year business strategy driving results for the brand year over year.
- Strong Talent Builder skills; proven ability to motivate, lead, empower, and influence others.
- Ability to lead and guide a team through change.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, works wells as part of a cross-functional team with the ability to collaborate, influence, and interact at all levels of the organization.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Production Manager, Gap Factory
As Production Manager, Tamika sources all sorts of fabrics and clothing materials in order to help bring the Design and Merchandising Team’s vision to life for Gap Factory.
Back to top