Director, International Marketing Strategy - Old Navy
Old Navy makes current American fashion essentials accessible to every family. From day one, Old Navy was a revolution. We were something the world had never seen - fabulous, affordable fashion. We didn't take ourselves too seriously, and we broke the industry's rules. We said fashion didn't have to be just for rich people - it could be for everyone. We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. Today, customers can shop for their must-have fashion essentials online as well as in one of our 1,000+ stores located globally.
When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path (and a pretty awesome one at that). We believe that style and quality should be accessible to everyone and we work hard to make that possible. Truth is, in fashion, it's easy to be exclusive. It takes a lot more creativity, guts and drive to be inclusive. What we believe in today is exactly what we believed in when we started: we're on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Sound good to you?
Old Navy – a brand for everyone, a place for you.
The Director, International Marketing Strategy is part of the Old Navy marketing team.
Summary: Responsible for overall Old Navy International omni-channel marketing strategy and planning in close partnership with the global marketing team, cross-functional experts and market GMs. Responsible for effectively launching Old Navy Brand in new markets, growth and ongoing seasonal marketing strategy for current international markets. Develop a scalable international marketing platform that reflects the global marketing voice as well as local relevancy. Key International marketing lead within the global marketing structure.
- Solid line reporting to Sr. Director, Media, Partnerships & International
- Work closely with country GMs to align on business objectives and strategies
- Lead high performing team of marketing strategy and execution leads in SF and in-market
- Build relationships with cross functional marketing partners to insure all markets are incorporated in strategic and executional planning. Cross functional partner experts include: Media, PR, Digital Engagement, Commercial Planning & Retail Marketing
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive annual and seasonal international marketing strategy, plans and budgets. Build international marketing plans that are aligned and support long range business plan. Use international quantitative and qualitative research studies to inform this strategic work.
- Build scalable marketing processes that drive consistency and speed for effective expansion
- Be the representative of all local consumer and market trend information to help inform global marketing team and planning processes
- Drive development of seasonal International marketing strategies and plans to best support seasonal business objectives and product strategies
- Drive launch strategies and plans for all new markets, define key customer segments and tactics to speak to each segment
- Develop marketing strategies and plans that drive new customer acquisition & loyalty
- Manage and allocate international marketing budget
- Partner closely with marketing functional experts to carry out seasonal marketing execution. Ensure every aspect of execution are aligned and support overall marketing plan.
- Ensure overall global alignment from planning process through creative execution
- Write project briefs and creative briefs when needed
- Development of seasonal promotions, events and marketing calendar
- Lead International Commercial Planning, developing seasonal and monthly promotions and event plans
- Work with marketing leadership to help establish marketing business objectives and traffic goals for our International markets
- Partner with Marketing Effectiveness and media agencies to measure traffic and sales impact of our events and media to guide future planning
- Partner with country GMs and Field Leadership to help plan and execute Flagship and/or launch events
- Work with execution teams to plan and provide strategic oversight on new store opening marketing
- Apply customer lens and creative thinking to promotions and events
- Act as Key Marketing Lead for new market launches
- Drive marketing launch strategy and planning in partnership with in-country marketing teams
- Use knowledge of market and past experience, along with in-market expertise, to create distinctive launch plans that drive awareness among key customer segments
- Drive seasonal plans after launch to continue momentum while creating global marketing alignment
- Create an ongoing marketing operating model to drive and sustain positive business performance
- Act as the key marketing representative on the launch steering committee team to insure flawless entry to market
- Participate in global marketing community
- Participate in global marketing community in terms of regular team meetings, conference calls, etc.
- Represent and advocate for international in-market needs based on business requirements, making recommendations to Senior Leadership
- Act as market expert and provide necessary market information within marketing, cross-functional and global teams, as appropriate
- Share and cascade global information among in-country teams in a timely, collaborative and culturally effective way
- Lead international marketing team
- Actively work to create a "one team" spirit and a climate that bridges function, role and geographic location
- Effectively manage and support the career development process of direct reports to drive engagement and future talent development
- Drive best-in-class ideas and creative execution to international markets
550 TERRY FRANCOIS BLVD.
- Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Prior experience effectively launching an American retail apparel brand globally
- An expressed understanding of the Old Navy brand (including aesthetic, taste level, competition)
- Strategic agility; has a proven track record of being able to create competitive and breakthrough marketing strategies and plans for launch campaigns and sustainable, long-range plans for international markets
- Omni-channel Global marketing experience
- Skilled and experienced in Agency management a plus
- Strong drive for results; can be counted on to lead self and others to exceed goals successfully
- Cross-culture sensitivity; actively seeks to learn, understand and empathize with differences in people and cultural norms and uses that information to build trust, teams and effective business interactions and decisions
- Strong communication skills; including presentation skills, listening, verbal and written communication
- Strong influencing skills; supporting your point of view to both peers and senior management
- Ability to manage effectively through ambiguity to actionable recommendations/solutions
- Balance of analytical skills and creativity, in order to drive an effective strategy to completion through business partners, agencies, and global marketing team
- Ability to build and lead a team, promote high standards and quickly establish team's focus in the face of competing priorities
- Capacity and desire to work in a fast paced environment
- Fluent language skills, Spanish a plus
- Ability to travel internationally
- Minimum educational level
- BA/BS degree required; MBA a plus
- Required experience
- Minimum 8-10 years Corporate Marketing experience
- Fashion, Retail or other consumer brand work experience
- Launching US brands in international markets a must
- E-commerce experience a must
- International work experience preferred
- Leadership experience, managing a large team across multiple geographies & time zones
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Theresa engineers innovative tech solutions with a small agile development team. Specifically, they work to bring mobile applications to the hands of Gap’s store associates.
Back to top