Director - IM Pre-Season Planning
GENERAL SUMMARY: Gap Greater China is the primary growth market for Gap Inc., covering all channels of business in mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Our first stores opened in 2010, with two in Shanghai, and two in Beijing, and we grew our online presence concurrently, launching Gap.cn and Tmall sites. Gap reached 100 stores faster than its competitors and is on pace to deliver its first profitable year well in advance of the competition. Gap is represented in China by Gap Specialty, Gap Outlet and Old Navy brands. The Director of IM Pre-Season Planning will have Total Brand responsibilities for the entire fleet of Gap Stores across Greater China, while also working in partnership with the Ecommerce channel. Th is person will be a key member of the Inventory Management Leadership team and be accountable for the strategic direction of the business and the financial results. He/she will be a proven leader of teams, with a strong track record for coaching, teaching and developing others. This leader will challenge the status quo to help drive future growth of the business. He/she will partner with the cross-functional team including Merchandising, Buying, Allocation, Marketing, Commercial Planning and Inventory Strategy to maximize business opportunities and drive profitable sales growth. The right candidate will demonstrate a strong track record of using analysis and fact based decision making to drive business outcomes. This leader will own the Mid-sight and Hindsight process, and use these insights to create Tops-down Pre-season Financial Plans. Finally, this leader will have In-Season responsibilities such as: the Open-to-Buy / Monthly forecast, product promotions, and Markdown/ Sale management, Commercial Planning Strategy, Weekly Business Reviews, and Market Specific Ad Hoc analysis. ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: - Own Pre-Season Company/ Brand Plans down to Div, Dept and Class Level and by Market. - Coach and develop best in class IM team which includes: Managers, Assc. Managers, Planners, and Analysts. - Build strong networks with x-function product teams both in Shanghai, and with NYC based Buyer team. - Structure seasonal receipt budgets with Ecommerce team to ensure x-channel opportunities are maximized. - Strategize & manage tops-down process for Monthly receipt plans per flow strategy and achieve target W.O.H. - Partnership with Buying team so that financial metrics are achieved such, as Rtl, GM$, AUR, W.O.H..etc.. - Build Hind-sight and Mid-sight decks and share out learning's with the cross-functional team. - Lead approach for CC Productivity and Long Tail analysis. Use learning's to create Pre-Season CC targets. - Participate in Commercial Planning Meeting. Use business insights to highlight category opportunities. - Lead Brand OTB down to Div, Dept / Class Level. Highlight risks or opportunities supported with action plans. - Partner with buying team to fill open receipt placeholders, and/or manage receipts based on business trend. - Own In-Season Category and Style level promotional recommendations and system management. - Forecast timely markdown strategy to ensure a profitable exit strategy. This includes liquidation and clearance. - Lead Weekly Business and Best Seller business reviews with Leadership and the Cross-functional team.
- Business Acumen: Ability to evaluate business indicators and translate data into actionable results.
- Problem Solving and Decision Quality: Able to use rigorous methods to find solutions to complex issues.
- Influencing and Negotiation: Can present ideas and directions that lead others to take action.
- Collaboration: Able to build effective and constructive relationships with a diverse group of business partners.
- Managing Complexity: Find ways to simplify process and leverage best practices across the fleet.
- Scope: Proven ability to manage large amounts of data, purchase orders, and CC / sku count.
- Familiar with all Retail math calculations (Sales, APS, weeks-on-hand, % committed, Store on hand, etc.).
- Proficiency in Excel and ability to navigate through various Merchandise systems.
- Completion of a Four year degree from accredited University or College a must.
- 6 – 8 years of Retail Distribution, Planning, Buying or related work experience. 2 - 4 years managing others.
- Able to travel 10% - 15% of the time within region (HK, Taiwan, and China).
- Possible International travel required to the United States.
- Fluent in both Mandarin and English Languages.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top