Director, Human Resources - Old Navy
Old Navy makes current American fashion essentials accessible to every family. From day one, Old Navy was a revolution. We were something the world had never seen - fabulous, affordable fashion. We didn't take ourselves too seriously, and we broke the industry's rules. We said fashion didn't have to be just for rich people - it could be for everyone. We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. Today, customers can shop for their must-have fashion essentials online as well as in one of our 1,000+ stores located globally.
When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path (and a pretty awesome one at that). We believe that style and quality should be accessible to everyone and we work hard to make that possible. Truth is, in fashion, it's easy to be exclusive. It takes a lot more creativity, guts and drive to be inclusive. What we believe in today is exactly what we believed in when we started: we're on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Sound good to you?
Old Navy – a brand for everyone, a place for you.
General Summary: The Director HR is responsible for providing strategic HR business partnership that results in a high-performing, engaged workforce and a more productive and profitable business.This role contributes to the health and success of the organization by having a deep understanding of the business priorities and proactively collaborating with business leaders to identify, develop, and implement talent strategies that meet the needs of the business including ensuring that the function(s) has the right talent, structure and processes in place.To be successful, this role must develop and sustain strategic and day-to-day consultative relationships with business leaders and their respective teams and act as a trusted coach, advisor and confidant on business and talent related issues and opportunities. The Director must also build effective working relationships with Old Navy and Gap Inc. Communications and HR partners in Recruiting, Learning & Development, HR Operations, Compensation and Employee Relations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Actively participate with the Leadership Teams, advising on people and organization impact of business plans and decisions; ensure that change and transformation plans are established and effectively executed.
- Collaborate with business partners to develop and execute functional talent strategies that support Old Navy's annual and long-term plans.
- Provide leadership and management coaching at all levels; assess appropriate development solutions/intervention strategies for talent needs within function, including individual, team and bench development.
- Provide strategic thought leadership and planning on talent and organizational impacts of business plans and decisions.
- Work with the business to identify the org structures, competencies, and processes needed to help the business run more effectively.
- Partner and build effective relationships within Old Navy and across Gap Inc.Use insights to guide business leader actions and strategies that result in high level employee engagement, commitment and performance.
- Drive talent management and succession planning activities within the business. Pro-actively partner with the business and HR partners in Recruiting and Learning & Development to develop strategies to strength or fill gaps, as needed, to ensure a ready talent pipeline.
- Coach for leadership accountability and excellence.
- Is a resource on all aspects of organizational effectiveness including Onboarding, Performance Management, Change Management, Rewards & Recognition, and Employee Relations.
- Partners across Old Navy and Gap Inc. HR to integrate ideas, develop innovative solutions, and identify best practices to ensure optimal support of the business.
- Influence the design, development, prioritization, and integration of value-added HR initiatives by leading/partnering with Old Navy and Gap Inc. Recruiting, Learning & Development, HR Operations, Communications, Employee Relations and Compensation & Benefits counterparts.
- Ensure consistent application of policies, practices and company values.
550 TERRY FRANCOIS BLVD.
- Strategy Thinking & Planning – Strong analytical and synthesis skills; able to extract key themes from disparate data points to develop a compelling story. Can weigh multiple aspects and impacts of an organizational issue/ opportunity and pull them together into a coherent and comprehensive strategy and plan.
- Influence- Strong observation & influencing skills to provide leaders with candid observations; Able to build trusting partnerships and influence leaders at all levels to clearly understand their roles, business impacts & needs
- Drive for Results – Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Business Acumen – Knows how businesses work, knowledgeable in current and future policies; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace; uses business acumen to build credibility.
- Organizational Agility – Knowledgeable about how organizations work; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network; can maneuver, and guide others, through complex situations effectively and quietly.
- Dealing with Ambiguity – Can effectively cope with change; can decide and act without having the total picture, can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- Comfort around Higher Management – Proven ability to interact and influence senior leaders. Can deal comfortably with more senior manager; can present to more senior managers without undue tension and nervousness; understands how senior managers think and work; can determine the best way to get things done with them by talking their language and responding to their needs.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Relates well to all kinds of people; builds appropriate rapport; and is able to build effective partnerships; can diffuse high-tension situations quietly and comfortably.
- Customer Focus – Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; uses customer information for improvements; acts with customer in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Process Management- Can see opportunities for synergy and integration; good at figuring out the processes to get things done.
- Strong Diagnostic & Decision Quality skills-Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis (quantitative and qualitative), wisdom, experience and judgment. Demonstrates sound judgment skills – ability to assess risk and take appropriate action; able to manage competing priorities.
- Composure- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress and is not knocked off balance by the unexpected.
- Integrity & Trust – is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Ethics and Values – Adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; practices what he/she preaches.
- Technical/ Functional Skills- Demonstrated knowledge of HR practices including:
- Org Design + Effectiveness, Performance and Change management, Leadership Coaching, Employee Relations, and Compensation
- Demonstrated ability to assess organizational trends and develop HR solutions to drive performance
- Experience with performance management processes and tools
- Ability to use MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, PeopleSoft and Outlook
- Minimum 7-10 years broad Human Resources generalist experience including at least one senior HR generalist role and preferably one HR specialty role
- High level of comfort with most HR disciplines (compensation, benefits, OD, operations)
- OE and L&D background strongly preferred
- Bachelor's degree with HR or business emphasis
- PHR/SPHR certification preferred
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Theresa engineers innovative tech solutions with a small agile development team. Specifically, they work to bring mobile applications to the hands of Gap’s store associates.
Back to top