Director - Human Resources - HQ
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path. From day one, we've been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. Today, customers can find fabulous fashion at affordable prices online and in one of our 1,000+ stores globally. Old Navy celebrates a workplace that's just as diverse as our customers. Fun, fashion, family and value are at the heart of everything we do. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we're family.
Old Navy - a brand for everyone a place for you!
The Director HR is responsible for providing strategic HR business partnership that results in a high-performing, engaged workforce and a more productive and profitable business. This role contributes to the health and success of the organization by having a deep understanding of the business priorities and proactively collaborating with business leaders to identify, develop, and implement talent strategies that meet the needs of the business including ensuring that the function(s) has the right talent, structure and processes in place. To be successful, this role must develop and sustain strategic and day-to-day consultative relationships with business leaders and their respective teams and act as a trusted coach, advisor and confidant on business and talent related issues and opportunities. The Director must also build effective working relationships with Old Navy and Gap Inc. Communications and HR partners in Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, HR Operations, Compensation and Employee Relations.
- Drives Results
- Collaboration & Influencing
- Customer Impact
- Trust & Honesty
- You are a part of the Old Navy Human Resources & Communications team, reporting to the Sr. Director HR for Headquarters.
- You deliver talent strategies for the headquarter functions you support and collaborate with the HR team to drive talent management practices.
- You supervise, guide and develop an HR Generalist direct report.
- Actively participate with the Leadership Teams of the headquarter functions', advising on people and organization impact of business plans and decisions; ensure that change and transformation plans are established and effectively executed.
- Collaborate with business partners to develop and execute functional talent strategies that support Old Navy's annual and long-range plans.
- Provide leadership and management coaching at all levels; assess appropriate development solutions/intervention strategies for talent needs within function, including individual, team and bench development.
- Provide strategic thought leadership and planning on talent and organizational impacts of business plans and decisions.
- Work with the business to identify the org structures, competencies, and processes needed to help the business run more effectively.
- Partner and build effective relationships within Old Navy and across Gap Inc.
- Use insights to guide business leader actions and strategies that result in high level employee engagement, commitment and performance.
- Drive talent management and succession planning activities within the business.
- Pro-actively partner with the business and HR partners in Talent Acquisition and Talent Management to develop strategies to strength or fill gaps, as needed, to ensure a ready talent pipeline.
- Coach for leadership accountability and excellence.
- Is a resource on all aspects of organizational effectiveness including Onboarding, Performance Management, Change Management, Rewards & Recognition and Employee Relations.
- Partners across Old Navy and Gap Inc. HR to integrate ideas, develop innovative solutions, and identify best practices to ensure optimal support of the business.
- Ensure consistent application of policies, practices and company values.
- Must possess a love for retail, product and demonstrate deep curiosity for the business.
- Has experience supporting and working with creative teams/businesses.
- Strategy Thinking & Planning - Strong analytical and synthesis skills; able to extract key themes from disparate data points to develop a compelling story. Can weigh multiple aspects and impacts of an organizational issue/ opportunity and pull them together into a coherent and comprehensive strategy and plan.
- Influence- Strong observation & influencing skills to provide leaders with candid observations; Able to build trusting partnerships and influence leaders at all levels to clearly understand their roles, business impacts & needs.
- Integrity & Trust - is widely trusted; is a direct, truthful individual; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Drive for Results - Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Business Acumen - Knows how businesses work, knowledgeable in current and future policies; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace; uses business acumen to build credibility.
- Customer Focus - Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; uses customer information for improvements; acts with customer in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Strong Diagnostic & Decision Quality skills-Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis (quantitative and qualitative), wisdom, experience and judgment. Demonstrates sound judgment skills - ability to assess risk and take appropriate action; able to manage competing priorities.
- Composure- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress and is not knocked off balance by the unexpected.
- Technical/ Functional Skills- Demonstrated knowledge of HR practices including:
- Org Design + Effectiveness, Performance and Change management, Leadership Coaching, Employee Relations, and Compensation
- Demonstrated ability to assess organizational trends and develop talent solutions to drive performance
- Experience with performance management processes and tools
- Providing creative and innovative solutions
- Minimum 7-10 years broad Human Resources generalist experience including at least one senior HR generalist role.
- High level of comfort with most HR & talent management practices (employee relations, communication, compensation, succession planning, coaching, development, analytics).
- OE and L&D background strongly preferred.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- PHR/SPHR certification preferred
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top