Director - Estimating & Value Engineering, Gap Inc.
The Gap Inc. Real Estate Finance function is a critical part of Gap Inc. Real Estate strategy across the enterprise, providing financial discipline and rigor to all aspects of the RE organization and ensuring that decisions are focused on maximizing ROIC for Gap Inc. while keeping the best interest of the brands front and center.
- Talent Builder
- Drives Results
The Real Estate Lead of Estimating is responsible for:
- Leading company understanding of all costs associated to Gap Inc. store built environments across unique store types and formats.
- Leading and informing cost saving opportunities grounded in project hind sighting and analysis at the project, brand portfolio and Gap Inc. enterprise level.
- Educating multiple business partners of project budgets within their area of influence. Leads project teams to meet budgets through value engineering guidance, forecasting and proactive strategies.
- Staying connected to industry dynamics. Proactively informs executives of multi-year trends and risks across all project cost categories. Drives functional teams to solve proactively to mitigate industry spikes that impact costs.
- Preparing and presenting complex project cost stories that cater to appropriate audiences; executives, functional leaders, managers, etc. Educates and influences multiple teams; drives alignment and focus on cost priorities and opportunities.
- Developing annual, 2 & 3 year cost outlook in tandem with capital plans.
- Actively partnering and contributing value engineering and cost guidance to teams responsible for developing new design concepts, strategies, and Architectural and MEP templates.
- Actively participates and helps inform costs associated to TCO analysis and long term Maintenance investment options.
- Developing strategies to build and deliver tools and techniques that will enable optimal estimating work products.
- Managing the Gap Inc. inventory of Owner Furnished Items for each brand and associated store vintages.
- Training, coaching and developing a team of estimators; guides team and together participates regularly in on-going industry practices and education. Builds rapport and manages outsourced industry experts, as required, to supplement internal knowledge.
- Produce construction estimates including detailed documentation of line item construction costs, value-engineering assessments and cost reduction strategies
- Provide technical estimating support to store design, architecture & construction
- Track all project costs in the construction phase to produce accurate project forecasts
- Prepare thorough hind-sighting analysis when all projects complete
- Develop, implement, and maintain estimating tools for business partners as needed. Stay abreast of industry trends in Estimating tools and make recommendations for optimal support package for Gap Inc. estimating news
- Source, onboard, and manage outsourced estimating consultants
- Oversee estimating work on all Gap Inc. store construction projects
- Conduct thorough review of PO for appropriateness of purchase
- Ensure project spend is coming in on track
- Produce reporting and own executive communication regarding all identified Flagship & High Profile Projects
- Lead cost in all value engineering efforts related to existing or new concepts
- Provide value engineering options and guidance for individual construction projects to ensure projects stay on budget
- Determine causes of variance in capital and construction timing
- Estimates & summarizes new concepts
- Supports cost aspect Optimizations efforts
- Estimates any template updates
- Provide estimating support used in determining long-term maintenance needs of design along with replacement costs
- Conduct market cost trend analysis
- Maintain historical records, cost tools, and databases
- Conduct Gap Inc. category analysis through bottoms up analysis
- Minimum experience: 10+ years construction management and project budgeting experience (with 5+ years of experience managing a team of direct reports)
- Working knowledge of retail construction estimating and the ability to provide constructive design feedback
- Willingness to learn from, and to teach others
- Solid verbal and written skills
- High proficiency in Excel and Microsoft office applications
- Demonstrated initiative with ability to work independently and with teams interchangeably
- Strong quantitative analysis and critical thinking skills
- Bachelor's degree in business, construction, engineering, and/or applicable field
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven track record to lead and manage projects to completion
- Demonstrated ability to manage tight deadlines and prioritize workload
- Ability to mentor, guide and develop team members
- Strong communication skills
- Must have great attention to detail and work well under pressure
- Must be comfortable with presenting to senior management and working in cross-functional teams & is outspoken and has proven ability to influence across the organization at multiple levels
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top