Director, Design - Women's Sweaters, Banana Republic
Who We Are: Banana Republic is a global apparel and accessories vertical specialty retail organization focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics designed for today with style that endures. We outfit those who see every day as full of opportunity and seek to make the most of every moment. At Banana Republic, we believe in seeing life a little differently, taking it all in, adding to it and making it your own. We live with style.
What We Do: The Director of Design is responsible for directing and managing staff members in all aspects of the design process for the entire area. This person will also lead conceptual development of product goals and future business direction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Sets overall direction in the conceptual development of product lines.
- Fully responsible for managing staff in all aspects of entire product design process to include market research, mood board creation, designing, sketching, "specing" and fit.
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates staff.
- Responsible for managing and providing creative direction to design staff.
- In conjunction with Product Development management, responsible for visualizing and determining strategic direction of business; accountable for process improvement, growing business and seeking opportunities to positively affect division/company.
- Fully responsible for ensuring that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy; interprets international/domestic concepts and fashion trends as it relates to market demands, company image and business strategy.
- Oversees selection of yarns and trim.
- Fully responsible for identifying and executing opportunities for process improvement through subordinate staff members.
- Provides overall recommendations and sets tone regarding style and fit of product(s) during presentation.
55 THOMAS STREET
- In-depth knowledge of yarn and sweater construction, knitting techniques and design processes
- Excellent leadership/management skills
- Ability to set overall creative tone and lead creative design process
- Excellent sense of style and color
- Proven excellent presentation and negotiation skills
- Ability to deal with managerial issues
- College degree in Fashion Design or related field.
- Minimum of ten years design experience including two years of managerial experience
- Ability to use personal computer.
- Frequent travel is required.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top