Director, Data Science
- Hong Kong
About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world.Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyonehas access to quality fashion at every price point.Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman,regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. BananaRepublic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gapinspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly madeessentials.
This simple idea-that we all deserve to belong,and on our own terms-is core to who we are as acompany and how we make decisions.Our teamis made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet.Ready tolearn fast, create with audacityand lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap International Sourcing office (GIS) is embarking on Digital Transformation journey and is looking for Director of Data Science to join our Strategy & Transformation team. This leadership role is highly strategic in nature with focus on solving complex business problems for our $16Bn organization through the smart deployment of data science applications. S/he will lead the initiative to transform our global sourcing function into data-first organization. We are looking for experienced individual that drive collaboration and innovation without boundaries and that don't wait for the solutions to be defined for them. You should be experienced in guiding strategic development, making tough tradeoffs, and figuring out business value and what's right for customers.
The role requires a strong customer focused mindset and combination of technical capabilities, a "can-do-attitude" along with an entrepreneurial spirit to bring change at scale.
This leader will be immerged into a global data science community and the work will impact millions of customers worldwide that love our iconic brands of Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Athleta.
What you will do
- Co-develop the Tech strategy roadmap for GIS as it relates to the organization's data architecture
- Solve complex business challenges through the experimentation and deployment of modern Machine Learning methodologies and toolkit
- Evaluate new technologies to bring continuous foresight to the fuel the GIS' strategy and investment decisions
- Co-develop the vision and roadmap for the application of data science and data technology to support the transformation of our $8Bn upstream value chain
Create processes and standards
for selection, implementation, and support of systems
- Create a set of modular solutions and contribute to the development of an internal digital platform(s) to test and experiment with techniques of advanced analytics in order to yield revenue/cost saving for the business
- Manage relationships, priorities & balance expectations of global business stakeholders & leaders across brand and corporate partners to identify opportunities for leveraging company's data to drive business solutions.
- Build and run agile teams to deploy high impact solutions across the business
- Working with information engineers to create, normalize and structure data in such way that it can consumed to empowered business solutions at scale
Who you are
in Information Technology, Computer Science, Information Systems, or Engineering in the field of Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science
4-6 years of leadership experience
in data science related role and/or leading the consulting projects
- Excellent understanding of computer systems, security, network and systems administration, databases and data storage systems, and telecommunications systems
- Demonstrate use of analytical, statistical, and programming skills to collect, analyses, & interpret large data sets; is familiar with the following software/tools:
- Statistical and data mining techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc.
- Querying databases and using statistical computer languages: R, Python, SLQ, etc.
- Creating & using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modelling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
- Distributed data/computing tools: Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, MySQL, etc.
- Visualization toolkits: D3, Qlick, Tableau, Microsoft BI etc.
- Flexible, adaptable & able to work in ambiguous situations across multiple global partners and teams.
- Results oriented with a demonstrated sense of urgency to drive multiple projects to successful completion; Critical thinker who can anticipate roadblocks and proactively address
- Experience & desire to build and lead agile tech teams
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we've been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Back to top