Designer Women's Swim & Lounge
About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path. From day one, we've been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we're family.
About the role
The Designer, Women's Swim & Lounge will oversee & drives these categories as part of the broader Old Navy Womenswear design team.
What you'll do
- Responsible for managing the design process from concept to completion while partnering with the Director to ensure alignment on priorities and direction.
- Consistently shop and research marketplace, including our competitors for inspirations and opportunities in product, fabric, wash, color and trims.
- Research, identify and present trend direction.
- Actively participates in the conceptual development of product lines (i.e., sells ideas/concepts and convinces others to adopt a course of action).
- Plan the line according to sales needs and emerging trends while maintaining appeal to our customer
- Ensures that product is consistent with market trends and business strategy.
- Ensure product is being designed within cost parameters.
- Create and present design boards for each season showcasing silhouette, fabric, and print, pattern, color range.
- Works closely with production partner to ensure design packages are complete and accurate.
- Partner with merchandising to assort line and develop product appropriate for business needs.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong knowledge of fit, fabric, construction details and pattern, color.
- Proficient sketching in Illustrator and capable in Photoshop and InDesign.
- Experience in a PLM, PDM system.
- Ability manage and help develop skills of direct reports.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Strong problem-solving skills along with ability to multi task and prioritize.
- Strong design and conceptual skills.
- Strong sense of style, color, and fit.
- Ability to identify key trends and determine how they appropriately relate to the brand/ consumer.
- Thorough knowledge of silhouettes, fabric, color use, sewing techniques, and trim.
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish good relationships with business partners and department staff.
Who you are
- College degree in Fashion Design or a related field.
- 4 - 6 years design experience, experience with swim strongly preferred, but not required.
- Strong background is assorting tasteful color & pattern stories.
- Has management experience.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- See more of the benefits we offer.
For eligible employees
Back to top