Designer - Men's Soft Accessories
As a global specialty retailer, Banana Republic is focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics. Our customers seek to make the most of every moment. How we do it is just as important as what we do. We value people who are confident, optimistic and curious, because we believe in unleashing creativity and greatness every day.
Who We Are: Banana Republic is a global apparel and accessories vertical specialty retail organization focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics designed for today with style that endures. We outfit those who see every day as full of opportunity and seek to make the most of every moment. At Banana Republic, we believe in seeing life a little differently, taking it all in, adding to it and making it your own. We live with style.
What We Do: The Designer is responsible for managing the design process from conception through to final styling for assigned product category. In addition, this person is responsible for product design process to include market research, conceptual presentations, design and guidance through fabric, print, spec and fit processes.
- Manage the design process from conception through to final styling for assigned product category.
- Responsible for product design process to include market research, conceptual presentations, design and guidance through fabric, print, spec and fit processes.
- Responsible for researching markets in order to identify new trends, fabrics, techniques, etc.
- Actively participates in the conceptual development of product lines (i.e., sells ideas/concepts and convinces others to adopt a course of action).
- Provides recommendations regarding seasonal themes, edits to line, new concepts, etc.
- Provides insight regarding style and fit of product during presentation.
- Ensures that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy.
- Provides direction for colorways on stripes, plaids and prints.
- Responsible for fabric and trim selection.
- Works with technical designer and pre-production partner to ensure design packages are complete and accurate.
- Partner with merchandising to assort line and develop product appropriate for business needs.
- Seasonal travel for research and/or product development is required.
- College degree in Fashion Design or a related field.
- 4 - 6 years design experience.
- Strong computer knowledge including Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to hand sketch.
- Strong design and conceptual skills.
- Strong sense of style and color.
- Thorough knowledge of silhouettes, fabrication, color use, sewing techniques, graphics and trim.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Understanding of merchandising as it relates to sales and store environment.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top