Design Manager - Women's Tailored, Banana Republic
Who We Are: Banana Republic is a global apparel and accessories vertical specialty retail organization focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics designed for today with style that endures. We outfit those who see every day as full of opportunity and seek to make the most of every moment. At Banana Republic, we believe in seeing life a little differently, taking it all in, adding to it and making it your own. We live with style.
What We Do: With minimal supervision and high level creative direction, the Design Manager designs a large category or several medium-sized categories. Recommends new product category or business ideas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Researches trend in magazines and on-line. Inspiration shops domestically. May shop internationally.
- Provides thought leadership related to area of expertise; may manage or mentor others to design and develop product for assigned product categories.
- Translates seasonal concepts into key items, styles, and outfits. Ensures roadmap requirements are met.
- Selects fabric, color, print/pattern story, details and trims. May develop fabric and raw materials.
- Makes style-based grow/maintain/decline recommendations for a specific product categories based on trend and historical business performance.
- Present key items and styles at alignment meeting to Banana Republic leadership team.
- Partners with merchandising and production to select styles for sampling, set up booth sets by shop by flow, finalize garment details, and complete fittings.
- Creates BOMS.
- Ensures sample development is kept within agreed upon development ratios. Adheres to product development deadlines.
- Works with factories in–country to develop samples for adoption.
- Approves styles, including fabrication, construction, color, details, trims and fit.
- Approves fit. Attend fittings with tech services, to ensure design integrity. Sends garment to final fit.
- Familiar with best and worst sellers across categories and adjusts development accordingly. Can connect sales results to see overarching themes in the business.
- Successfully delivers additional volume through a reinvention or introduction of new categories or classifications
55 THOMAS STREET
- College degree in Fashion Design or related field
- Eight to ten years design experience
- Experience working with cross-functional partners concerning design concepts, aesthetics, production, construction issues required.
- Mass retail experienced preferred
- Travel – 20% - 25% domestic and international may be required
Functional and Technical Skills
- Defined aesthetic point-of-view
- Strong design and color sense.
- Knowledge of color theory
- Computer skills; proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop
- Proficient in Illustration
- In-depth knowledge of silhouettes, fabrication, color ways, sewing techniques, graphics and trim.
- Expert level of understanding of fabric and garment construction
- Demonstrated ability to interpret vintage and high fashion trends for a mass market, to evolve a big idea, and to design a cohesive collection
- Knowledge of fit and standard measurements
- Conversant with the basics of merchandising and retail management
Key Competencies Required:
- Business Acumen
- Drive for Results
- Learning on the Fly
- Peer Relationships
- Managerial Courage
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top