Design Director Women's Accessories
- San Francisco, CA
About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path. From day one, we've been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we're family.
About the role
The Design Director Women's Accessories (or Funcessories! as we like to call it) will be part of the broader Old Navy womenswear design leadership team overseeing the seasonal direction + design across footwear, hosiery, soft goods (scarves, hats, gloves), Old Navy supply + fastlanes (totes, cosmetic bags, swim towels, hair accessories), take care (masks), jewelry and sunglasses. This role will report directly into our VP Womenswear Design overseeing a team of 4 direct reports.
What you'll do
- Sets overall direction in the conceptual development of product lines.
- Consistently seeks out Global Innovation.
- Fully responsible for managing staff in all aspects of entire product design process to include market research, mood board creation, designing, sketching, specing and fit.
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates staff.
- Responsible for managing and providing creative direction to design staff.
- In conjunction with Product Development management, responsible for visualizing and determining strategic direction of business; accountable for process improvement, growing business and seeking opportunities to positively affect division/company.
- Fully responsible for ensuring that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy; interprets international/domestic concepts and fashion trends as it relates to market demands, company image and business strategy.
- Oversees and drives selection of fabric, trim, and materials.
- Fully responsible for identifying and executing opportunities for process improvement through immediate staff members.
- Provides overall recommendations and sets tone regarding style and overall aesthetic direction of product(s) during presentation.
- Ensures consistency of look between differing & aligned businesses (e.g., main line & performance active line print/color/fabric leverage & head to toe connection, family synergy between adult & Kids/Baby)
- In-depth knowledge of design techniques and processes with a focus on shoes and accessories expertise.
- Excellent leadership/management skills.
- Ability to set overall creative tone and lead creative design process.
- Ability to convey aesthetic vision to leadership and key vendors.
- Excellent sense of style, trend, color, and print & pattern.
- Proven excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
- Ability to deal with managerial issues (i.e. career development, performance management).
- College degree in Fashion Design or related field.
- Minimum of ten years design experience including 4 years of managerial experience.
- Ability to use personal computer.
- Frequent travel is required.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- See more of the benefits we offer.
Back to top