Design Director, Concept
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path. From day one, we've been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. Today, customers can find fabulous fashion at affordable prices online and in one of our 1,000+ stores globally. Old Navy celebrates a workplace that's just as diverse as our customers. Fun, fashion, family and value are at the heart of everything we do. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we're family.
Old Navy - a brand for everyone a place for you!
- Sets overall direction in the conceptual development of product lines.
- Consistently seeks out Global Innovation.
- Fully responsible for managing staff in all aspects of entire product design process to include market research, mood board creation, designing, sketching, specing and fit.
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates staff.
- Responsible for managing and providing creative direction to design staff.
- In conjunction with Product Development management, responsible for visualizing and determining strategic direction of business; accountable for process improvement, growing business and seeking opportunities to positively affect division/company.
- Fully responsible for ensuring that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy; interprets international/domestic concepts and fashion trends as it relates to market demands, company image and business strategy.
- Oversees selection of fabric and trim.
- Fully responsible for identifying and executing opportunities for process improvement through immediate staff members.
- Provides overall recommendations and sets tone regarding style and fit of product(s) during presentation.
- Ensures consistency of look between differing businesses (e.g., adult/kid, accessory/apparel)
- Customer Impact
- Strategic Orientation
- Drives Results
- Minimum of ten years design experience (preferably apparel).
- Four years of managerial experience.
- College degree in Fashion Design or a related field
- Exceptional skills in overall seasonal direction setting, including Mood, Color, Trend Big Ideas, Key Items as well as Print & Graphic direction.
- Experience in analytical brand positioning work which includes design filters and customer profiling
- Strong leadership experience; leading both direct team as well as process and milestone delivery with wider teams and cross functional partners.
- Highly creative and has a strong business growth mindset.
- Excellent leadership/management skills with the ability to deal with managerial issues (i.e. career development, performance management, etc.)
- Ability to set overall creative tone and lead creative design process.
- Excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
- Frequent travel is required.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top