Corporate Senior Vice President, Global Real Estate
This role is responsible for developing and executing against the Gap Inc. Real Estate strategy across all brands globally. Responsible for developing and executing a holistic retail strategy with a perspective to maximize all business channels and retail trends.
This position is responsible for Gap Inc.'s Real Estate and Store Development functions, leading 300+ employees responsible for market planning, site selection, sales forecasting, architecture, store construction, store maintenance and store leasing for the Gap Inc. portfolio of brands globally, including franchise. In addition, this role is responsible for leading the Gap Inc. portfolio management process and is the primary Gap Inc. liaison with the landlord and developer communities. To be successful, this individual will need to possess not only strong real estate experience but the ability to work in a customer-centric, omni-channel environment. Exceptional leadership and engagement skills as are an ability to simplify process and drive effective execution in a multi-brand, complex organization are requirements for this position.
- This role is responsible for leading the Global Real Estate and Store Development teams.
- This role reports to the Gap Inc. CFO.
- This role is accountable for creating a shared vision and model for Real Estate across all brands globally.
- Partners closely with RE Law and RE Finance; the heads of these groups sitting on the RE Leadership Team.
- Partner closely with the brands on the development and alignment of real estate strategies and priorities in support of broader brand business strategies, growth and financial plans.
- Partner closely with the brands on a broad range of strategic and operational initiatives affecting the Company's property portfolio, market positioning and brand reputation.
- Lead innovative thinking on redefining mutually beneficial partnerships with landlords.
- Manage and oversee all development oriented real estate transactions relating to growth and modernization of all Gap Inc. brands.
- Manage and oversee all fleet management transactions including lease options, extensions and renewals, site selection and repositions, early closings, lease assignments, subleases, resizing of existing spaces, remodel agreements and other lease amendments.
- Partner closely with brands to develop and leverage portfolio-based approach to managing the Company's store real estate assets.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Corporate Real Estate organization.
- Facilitate partnership with RE Law, RE Finance and Store Design to enable shared strategic initiatives.
- Attract, develop and retain top real estate talent and appropriately build and leverage teams across the organization to execute effectively and efficiently.
- Build strong cross-functional, cross-brand partnerships and drive execution in a heavily-matrixed environment.
- Develop and manage operating budgets for the Corporate Real Estate function.
- Develop and maintain strong, trusting relationships within the landlord/developer community.
- Drive alignment of external industry trends and practices in the commercial retail landscape with internal Brand/Division goals and objectives.
- Negotiate form leases and standard business terms with major landlords for each brand.
- Determine real estate site selection criteria and evaluation, priorities and strategy in conjunction with operating division goals and objectives.
- Review and oversee preparation and presentation of site proposals for senior brand management review and approval.
- Extensive experience in commercial real estate, with a heavy focus on retail.
- Proven background in building strong talent pipeline including developing and empowering employees to reach full potential.
- Excellent strategic and executional skills. Individual should be proven leader, capable of articulating clear vision and executing in a complex environment, managing multiple teams across regions, and aligning and motivating multiple stakeholders, field employees, and cross-functional partners in driving for results.
- Thorough knowledge of market planning; advanced negotiation strategy and techniques.
- Excellent influencing and partnering skills across many groups.
- Strong executive presence, excellent interpersonal skills; articulate communicator with strong analytical and negotiating skills.
- Individual should have real estate deal experience across a wide range of deal types, including lease and purchase, and have operated in an environment of large and significant deal velocity.
- Individual should have experience in all aspects of the development process from site identification to leasing to store build-out, including exposure to related finance and legal activity.
- Able to collaborate and influence effectively with corporate leaders, board members, trade media and relevant industry organizations to communicate Gap Inc.'s strategies.
- Strong affiliations and active participation in professional organizations such as ICSC highly desirable.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field of study required. Masters in Business Administration and/or law degree desirable.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top