Buying Manager, Weddington Way
Based in San Francisco, CA, Weddington Way offers millennials a new way to shop for weddings, featuring an exclusive collection of fresh + modern bridesmaid dresses. Weddington Way designs and manufactures their own dresses - meaning no middle-men, no markups, and styles crafted with detail and intention that you can't find anywhere else. Weddington Way pioneered a community-centric shopping experience that lets friends shop together online in a virtual showroom. With its technology-first approach, Weddington Way is a breath of fresh air in the wedding planning process. For more information, please visit http://www.weddingtonway.com
Weddington Way's team + culture:
Our employees are our most valuable asset. We respect and listen to each other. We prioritize celebration and community. We believe in work/life balance, but we like when you bring your life to work. Seriously, we love meeting your dogs, cats, babies, husbands, girlfriends, moms, etc.
Our team is made up of dynamic, intelligent, best in class individuals. Our employees come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, and bring with them a unique perspective, which we are excited to listen to. We believe that our brand is the only as good as the people behind it, and that we are stronger as team than as individuals. We believe in collaboration. We are equal parts hard work and heart.
What we are looking for in our Buying Manager:
We are looking for someone who is passionate about all-things product with interest in all aspects of bringing product to market and managing the life-cycle in response to customer demand. At Weddington Way we operate with the customer in mind first – we start with the customer and work backwards in everything we do.
The Buying Manager will have strong business acumen, extensive inventory management experience and an eye for trend. This role will report directly to the Head of Merchandising and will be instrumental in supporting the company on inventory planning, assortment architecture, and more.
- Supports the Head of Merchandising in the development of the product assortment, including new collection strategies, site/store presentation, inventory investment, and pricing strategy
- Ensures collections are compelling, commercially viable and inventoried appropriately to meet customer demand and support overall business objectives
- Owns weekly reporting/recapping for bottoms-up style and category performance to inform current state of business and make recommendations for action. Re-forecasts sales and manages inventory accordingly
- Owns open-to-buy forecasts and monthly inventory purchase order/receipt bookings. Presents financial forecast and supporting action plans monthly
- Manages the development of sales, gross margin and inventory plans that support product strategies and overall business objectives while driving optimal inventory service levels and profitability
- Performs and/or directs daily activities that drive the creation of a compelling product presentation on-site and in stores to delight the customer and inspire to buy
- Analyzes historical data in parallel with current trends to identify risks and opportunities
- Manages and communicate markdown & promotional recommendations and strategies, makes recommendations for assortment edits/discontinues
- Develops and maintain effective working relationships with members of cross-brand (BR, Gap, etc) and internal cross-functional team (design/production, marketing, operations, tech, creative, DC)
- Supports receipt reconciliation process, supports team in managing inventory tracking
- Supports management of site experience as related to merchandise and product details
- Able to negotiate, influence and collaborate with members of cross-functional team on business and team initiatives such as promos, events, new collection campaigns, etc.
- Able to build and maintain productive relationships with cross-functional teams
Capabilities and Mindset:
- Customer obsession – customer first thinking with a strong orientation to product
- Excellent problem-solving skills and judgment
- Ownership – you never say "that's not my job" and anything on your plate will get done
- Prioritization & flexibility – keen ability to prioritize in a dynamic, ever-changing environment
- Analytical – both quantitative and qualitative
- Sharp communication skills with ability to influence team/gain consensus on a point of view
- Strong sense of ownership and commitment to follow-through
- Comfortable with ambiguity and enthusiastic to define strategy
- Possesses a clear understanding of financial acumen such as sales & gross margin and how to pull levers to impact them
- Understands inventory productivity measures and how to impact them
- Able to interpret current business results in parallel with external trends to develop future strategies
- Comfortable with taking calculated risks, assuming accountability, and ready to learn quickly from mistakes to move the business forward
- Highly Proficient in Microsoft Excel, comfortable in Outlook, and Google applications
- 3+ years as a Merchandiser, Buyer or equivalent
- 3+ years of retail buying, planning or related analytical experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top