Buying Director- US Gap Online
In 1969, Don and Doris Fisher opened the first Gap store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco. They wanted to make it easier to find a great pair of jeans, and they did. Their denim and records store was a hit, and today we're the world's most iconic American brand.
We're represented in more than 1400 stores in over 40 countries, and online. Our unique aesthetic is optimistic cool, elevated American style. We believe in staying true to our heritage while creating what's next.
Don and Doris Fisher always wanted to "do more than sell clothes," and today we're leaders in employee volunteering and social impact.
If you're full of ideas, if you want to work with phenomenal people, and if you think we should leave the world better than we found it, we'd love to meet you.
• Accountable for the creation of a comprehensive seasonal framework that aligns product strategies with financial goals, ensuring that end to end sales, gross margin and inventory strategies hit Divisional sales plans.
• Responsible for a compelling seasonal framework by Division that aligns product strategies with financial goals.
• Drive partnership and collaboration with Global Merchandising to ensure the seasonal, global assortment meets the Gap Online customer and business needs.
• Develop and communicate Divisional site merchandising strategies based on product and financial goals and marketing plans.
• Accountable for the skill development and career growth of direct reports/team.
PRE-SEASON FINANCIAL PLANNING
• Responsible for the development of seasonal financial targets by Division - to include sales, gross margin and inventory.
• Responsible for the development and communication of Divisional product strategies that align with financial goals of the season.
• Responsible for the reconciliation of Divisional top-down & bottoms-up sales and inventory plans.
• Responsible for the financial success of one or more Divisions by meeting sales, gross margin, and inventory productivity goals.
• Communicate financial results, forecasts, and action plans to Sr. Director and cross-functional teams on a weekly basis.
• Lead team and cross-functional counterparts to develop and communicate tactical plans to achieve business timelines and deliverables.
• Responsible for the assessment of sales and inventory plans from investment through in-season management, including ongoing assortment updates and inventory changes in PETE and ACT.
• Oversee the development of Basics sales and inventory forecasts to maximize sales opportunity while driving optimal inventory service levels and profitability.
• Direct team on pricing recommendations and strategies that align with Divisional financial plans.
• Responsible for the Divisional forecast of in-season sales and inventory trends through the monthly OTB process. Develop product, site and financial strategies to maximize opportunities and mitigate risk.
• Oversee seasonal hindsight learnings and strategically identify opportunities for pre-line.
• Accountable for balancing team workload across pre-season and in- season, product and financial milestones and deliverables.
• Proficiency with enterprise applications (Venus, NOVA, etc.) as well as GOL specific tools (cube platform).
• Oversee strategic projects, including process and operating improvements.
• Responsible for the development of seasonal product strategies and Divisional Long Range Plans that support the Gap Online business.
• Responsible for the Gap Online exclusive business strategies by Division, including product recapping, needs analysis and presentation on site.
• Ensure the team is performing daily activities that support the merchandising strategies and merchandise pipeline.
• Lead team through web management to create a compelling product experience on the site, to include inspirational merchandise presentation, simple and intuitive category navigation and clear and accurate product details.
• Ensure the web site effectively communicates the product and merchandise strategies. Develop, communicate and drive seasonal shop strategies and promotional plans, ensuring a compelling product assortment that will meet overall business objectives.
• Responsible for weekly site deliverables - promo outlook, site review, creative review to ensure clarity on all execution.
• Ensure team is reviewing Omniture reporting to understand customer's preferences. Apply learnings to future concepts, linking and sorting.
• Partner with Marketing and Creative to ensure a compelling site and customer experience that supports the overall business objectives and meets customer expectations.
• Responsible for team's timely and accurate workflow.
• Lead by example in creating a collaborative, innovative, and results-oriented environment.
• Balance workload priorities across Departments and Division to ensure successful execution of strategies and goals.
• Communicate job standards and performance expectations to direct reports in a timely manner.
• Accountable for career development and skill development of teams to ensure job satisfaction, retention, and future talent development.
• Recognize & reward performance.
• Develop bench-strength and a talent pipeline through active participation in recruiting and succession planning.
• Actively solicit ideas and listen to all members of the cross-functional team to ensure that innovative ideas are surfaced and acted upon, and that the team feels ownership in the business.
• Demonstrate a global perspective.
• Customer and product centric.
• Financial Acumen: The ability to use financial metrics to measure the performance of the business. Understand how financial levers impact results.
• Business Acumen: The ability to read and react to business results, understanding how decisions impact those results.
• Systems & Tools Acumen: The ability to quickly develop tool and system proficiency.
• Ability to formulate long term strategies and short term tactical plans that are effective, efficient and support business and product strategies.
• Ability to effectively sell a point of view to both peers and upper management.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the target customer and of product trends.
• Demonstrates global business analysis and strategic/innovative thinking skills.
• Proven track record in managing a business to achieve financial targets.
• Ability to analyze a problem skillfully, formulate a logical rational for the decisions and take action.
• Demonstrate smart risk taking.
• Accurately assess employee strengths and development needs.
• Be open-minded to and receptive of other's opinions.
• Adapt well to diverse audiences and environments.
• Demonstrate the organizational ability to facilitate multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to act as a change agent.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top