Associate Manager/Manager - Communications
The Associate Manager, Communications for Gap Greater China will be based in Shanghai, reporting to the Director of Communications & Localization. The position will focus on media relations and corporate communications to help build up corporate branding and reputation and create a favorable environment for sustained business growth.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Content Generation and Corporate Communication
- Leverage global initiatives and campaigns and combine them with local realities to develop communicable content appropriate for the home market
- Capitalize on business milestones and progresses, including but not limited to major product launches, store openings and category leadership, to develop content that can be applied for both external and internal communication through offline and online channels and platforms.
- Develop, synthesize and disseminate communication materials, consistent with global guidelines, strategies and messaging, out of engagement activities, including but not limited to employee gatherings, town-hall meetings, forums, volunteering activities and CSR initiatives.
- Stay on top of industry trends and developments to identify potential media opportunities to tell about the company's competitive advantages in brand portfolio, product offering, innovation, sustainability and employer branding, etc.
- Partner up closely with brands, operations and functional teams to identify content generation and communication opportunities.
- Proactively develop external communication opportunities of various nature and type while respecting global disclosure policies.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of cross-functional teams, such as marketing, operations, merchandising, and HR, etc.
- Participate in other team tasks or assignments as required.
Media Relations & Engagement
- Develop and maintain trusted relationship with business, metropolitan and general media, including key overseas media in China and social media within the framework of global rules, policies and processes, to secure positive earned media coverage and tell our story.
- Participate in developing overall media engagement and external communication strategies and plans.
- Identify and evaluate media engaging and publicity opportunities for senior executives and the company, as a way to increase visibility, enhance industry leadership and reinforce branding.
- Work independently or with external partners to evaluate media inquiries and prepare executive briefing dossiers.
- Provide media coverage monitoring and analysis and be a key partner in handling issues and crisis.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Around 5 years of relevant experience in corporate communication, business journalism, media, public relations (in-house or agency). Experience in digital and social media communication or at an entrepreneurial environment is a plus.
- Track record of working across business divisions, functional teams and external partners and vendors.
- Keen understanding of and sensitivity to the Chinese political, social and business landscape and the retail market.
- Good knowledge of the working of the media in China and ability to engage the media within the framework of the company's rules, policies and processes.
- Ability to generate story ideas and pitch angles that drive back to the company's overall communications objectives.
- Experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced matrix business environment, able to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, able to interface and work with internal and external partners at all levels.
- Superb writing and editing skills to generate content for different types of media and platforms.
- Open, creative and innovative, willing and daring to explore new territories and possibilities
- Strong knowledge of and skills in social media and online platforms.
- Attention to details, mindful of necessary processes and capable of generating top quality results.
- Adaptable to fast changes and the pressure of deadlines.
- Able to effectively work with business partners, build up cross-team trust, drive consensus and manage conflicts.
Minimum Education Level
- Bachelor's degree or above from a reputable university, preferably in communications, journalism, public relations and / or marketing.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top