Associate Designer, Knits - Banana Republic Factory Stores
As a global specialty retailer, Banana Republic is focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics. Our customers seek to make the most of every moment. How we do it is just as important as what we do. We value people who are confident, optimistic and curious, because we believe in unleashing creativity and greatness every day.
Who We Are: Banana Republic is a global apparel and accessories vertical specialty retail organization focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics designed for today with style that endures. We outfit those who see every day as full of opportunity and seek to make the most of every moment. At Banana Republic, we believe in seeing life a little differently, taking it all in, adding to it and making it your own. We live with style.
What We Do: Under general supervision, the Associate Designer assists in designing product line that is consistent with a season's theme. This person will work more independently in creating and executing the design for a limited area of responsibility. Work will be reviewed by manager on a periodic basis.
- Responsible for researching domestic markets in order to identify new trends, fabrics, techniques, etc.
- Participates in the conceptual development of product lines.
- Assists in ensuring that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy.
- Responsible for "specing" a new design.
- Responsible for details on design of product to include preparing and updating sketches and specifications.
- Coordinates sample production process to ensure that samples are produced and delivered on a timely basis.
- Increased involvement in sample fits and line edits.
- Recommends revisions/color ways on stripes, plaids and prints.
- Assists in fabric and trim development.
- Can meet independently with vendors.
- Solid understanding of design process
- Previous Knits experience required
- Solid flat sketching skills
- Good design and color sense
- Ability to think three-dimensionally and to visualize from swatch to body
- Solid understanding of product construction (e.g., finishes, fabrics, hardware, stitches, safety requirements, etc.)
- Knowledge of fit model and standard measurements
- Good organizational, time management and communication skills
- General computer knowledge
- College degree in Fashion Design or related field.
- 2-4 years design experience.
- Ability to use personal computer.
- Occasional travel may be required .
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top