Associate Art Director, Marketing - Old Navy
Old Navy makes current American fashion essentials accessible to every family. From day one, Old Navy was a revolution. We were something the world had never seen - fabulous, affordable fashion. We didn't take ourselves too seriously, and we broke the industry's rules. We said fashion didn't have to be just for rich people - it could be for everyone. We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. Today, customers can shop for their must-have fashion essentials online as well as in one of our 1,000+ stores located globally.
When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path (and a pretty awesome one at that). We believe that style and quality should be accessible to everyone and we work hard to make that possible. Truth is, in fashion, it’s easy to be exclusive. It takes a lot more creativity, guts and drive to be inclusive. What we believe in today is exactly what we believed in when we started: we’re on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Sound good to you?
Old Navy – a brand for everyone, a place for you.
Job Summary: In partnership with the Art Director directing, designing and managing all digital for Old Navy. They must be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively with the creative and cross-functional teams on larger, cross-discipline projects. Successful candidates will provide a strong portfolio as well as demonstrate excellent art direction and visual design skills. They must also be able to effectively manage multiple tasks and/or projects at once, without sacrificing quality in addition to managing a large workload with quick deadlines and great concepting!
The Associate Art Director will also be responsible for contributing to brand brainstorm & concept sessions with the offline design team.
- Directs and delivers creative concepts and visual design solutions
- Maintains and extends the visual design platform for a digital application, including color palettes, typography, layout and required brand elements
- Maintains focus on overall brand awareness while at the same time understanding and managing business partner and customer needs
- Works strategically to identify brand consistency issues and provide solutions
- Contributes to oversight of Old Navy’s overall brand as manifested in the online channel
- Coordinates a multi-disciplinary creative team throughout all stages of design
- Recommends changes to policies and guidelines that affect work, schedules, and budgets
- Helps lead the photo planning/concept development process
- Translates business and marketing objectives into designs that are clear, compelling, visually exciting, easy to use and emotionally engaging
- Participates as a contributor to an interdisciplinary team that includes creative leads, brand management, merchandising, marketing, creative technology and project management
- Manages design team—including daily workload and individual development. Set clear roles, responsibilities and expectations of all projects to ensure that the design output is brand appropriate, and all marketing requirements are completed on time, and with the highest standard possible, for both internal and external reviews
- Presents work and displays effective communication to business partners and senior management
- Retail design experience is preferred
- Must be a self starter & ready to design – job is not just “directing”
- Expert knowledge of latest web technologies and technology trends
- Expert knowledge of design fundamentals, layout, typography, information hierarchy and web specifications including responsive design
- Expert in idea generation, as well as collaboration with copy and photography creative partners
- Must be detailed-oriented, well-organized and able to thrive in deadline-driven environment
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to apply user interface and interactive design best practices to projects
- Strong knowledge of mobile usability and best practices. Responsive design experience extremely helpful (email and site)
- Expert knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator and MAC OS environment
- HTML5/DHTML/CSS3 experience helpful
- BFA in Graphic Design or related area
- Retail design experience is required
- 7+ years professional experience in web design or multimedia
- 3+ years management experience
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
IT Business Analyst
Jared operates as a function lead between Gap’s business partners and technical leads. He helps them understand the business requirements to deliver high-quality technology to Gap’s customers.
Back to top