Associate Art Director
- San Francisco, CA
About Banana Republic
Banana Republic was founded with an explorer's spirit and a desire to venture to new places, beyond the boundaries of the everyday. Our clothing is designed for a life with no boundaries.
We travel near and far in search of the finest materials and fabric innovations to infuse style with substance, because we believe that what you wear should open a world of possibilities. And the people that make up Banana Republic share the same qualities as our brand: curious, connected, undaunted by boundaries. Sound like you? Join us for the adventure of what's next.
About the role
The Associate Art Director is responsible for leading the creative execution and output within the design team. This position requires a highly motivated individual who can manage, inspire, and mentor junior designers and freelancers. Candidates should possess an elevated aesthetic, passion for their craft, and a compelling portfolio.
What you'll do
- Drive seasonal look and feel of all creative elements for Banana Republic. Develop a brand aesthetic that is appropriate for the channel and the marketplace. Drive global creative alignment where appropriate.
- Develop excellent work consistent with the Banana Republic look and feel.
- Lead development of and find integration/synergistic opportunities for any additional creative needs by regional partners.
- Translate business and marketing objectives into designs that are clear, compelling, visually exciting, easy to use and emotionally engaging.
- Act as creative lead along journey from campaign concept development to execution (ensures taglines work, photography is appropriate etc).
- Work with account teams to keep teams fully abreast of campaign development and execution
- Create and develop a visual response to consumer communication including research, analysis, prototyping, user testing, and outcome evaluation.
- Create presentations that address diverse users/audiences and business/organizational operations
- Present design work to business partners and senior management. Shape design decisions in response to audience feedback.
- Must have the management and communication skills necessary to function and collaborate productively in large interdisciplinary teams that include creative leads, merchandising, marketing, graphic design and visual merchandising
- Manage a team of designers, including daily workload and individual development. Set clear roles, responsibilities and expectations of all projects to ensure that the design output is brand appropriate, and all marketing requirements are completed on time, and with the highest standard possible, for both internal and external reviews.
- Research creative trends in competitive markets and apply that knowledge and learning to development of new marketing and packaging projects
- 10+ years of art direction / design experience
- Strong leadership skills - particularly proven track record in managing through influence.
- Strong cross-functional team facilitation skills.
- Fundamental understanding of design and branding best practices
- Strong conceptual abilities with a high attention to detail.
- Works well under pressure and deadline.
- Exhibits an understanding of and passion for fashion and retail.
- Deals well with ambiguity and operate with a highly flexible style.
- A strong understanding of and feel for the Banana Republic brand.
- BA Graphic Design with educational training in typography.
- Completes great work in a fast-paced environment without compromising quality
- Ability to create and execute a broad creative vision.
- Expert knowledge of design-related software.
- Good interpersonal, management, and presentation skills with an ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work closely with senior management to guide department needs
- Ability to work within the established budget and time constraints.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- See more of the benefits we offer.
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we've been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Back to top