Assistant General Manager (Full Time) - 17th and 5th
In 1969, Don and Doris Fisher opened the first Gap store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco. They wanted to make it easier to find a great pair of jeans, and they did. Their denim and records store was a hit, and today we're the world's most iconic American brand.
We're represented in more than 1400 stores in over 40 countries, and online. Our unique aesthetic is optimistic cool, elevated American style. We believe in staying true to our heritage while creating what's next.
Don and Doris Fisher always wanted to "do more than sell clothes," and today we're leaders in employee volunteering and social impact.
If you're full of ideas, if you want to work with phenomenal people, and if you think we should leave the world better than we found it, we'd love to meet you.
As the Assistant General Manager, you are working in collaboration with the Store Director/General Manager as a strategic thought partner in the creation and execution of the store business plan to achieve performance goals specific to our highest volume, most complex stores. You play a key role in maintaining focus around the achievement of sales budget, customer loyalty, as well as other Company goals. Through collaboration with your Store Director / General Manager, and your store team, you will ensure operational processes are in place, identify customer trends, and analyze business results to determine actions necessary to deliver on objectives. You will teach and coach behaviors to Assistant Managers, Specialists, and Sales Associates enabling a high performing team that delivers a best-in-class customer experience. You lead this team ensuring quality talent and business decisions in support of the Brand Vision.
- Builds effective teams + drives a culture of high performance + engagement; Supports the execution of performance goals and developmental plans for store team through thoughtful and timely feedback
- Drives Results; Stays informed, maintains focus on priorities, implements action plans to maximize efficiency
- Collaborates with managers and employees to execute strategic initiatives and improve processes while building the capabilities of others
- Creates an optimistic, rewarding and collaborative work environment in which employees are confident and encouraged to grow to support our succession and talent pipeline goals
- Acts as a trusted leader with understanding of the impact of initiatives on customer experience, workload, productivity, employee engagement, and store compliance
- Presents the store, in absence of the General Manager, to Field Leadership and HQ Business Partners to inform and educate about business, operational efficiencies, product sell through and customer feedback
- Upholds the commitments to the company's processes, values, and Code of Business Conduct at all times
- Drives store sales through a customer first mindset
- Ensures consistent execution by providing clear direction of Standard Operating Procedures and initiatives to maximize customer satisfaction and business efficiencies
- Teaches and coaches behaviors to build confidence enabling a high-performing team to consistently deliver best-in-class customer experience
- Recruits, hires, onboards, and leads a team of managers and employees
- Uses information to identifies opportunities and creates functional plans to address
- Identifies areas to improve overall performance while taking action to decrease losses, minimize shrink and all other forms of risk ensuring store compliance standards are met
- Owner of assigned Division of Responsibility and the accountability to the role
- Performs Leader on Duty responsibilities; providing overall leadership for the location for certain shifts
- Partners with peers and others by offering help when needed
- Empowerment - has experience providing clear direction to guide manager and employee actions while offering support and follow up as necessary
- Customer Impact - known for having an understanding of the customer to lead a team that responds with a sense of urgency to needs
- Accountability - experience in coaching to support teams following guidelines
- Drives Results - demonstrated ability to personally fulfill assigned tasks and lead others to do the same allowing for process efficiencies and consistency making things better
- Merchandising acumen to inspire customers and instill loyalty resulting in increased sales
- Has success in driving high performance through recruiting top talent and the support of ongoing development for managers and employees
- Embraces opportunities to learn
- College degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum 3 years of retail experience preferred
- Minimum 1 year of experience leading managers
- Ability to maneuver around sales floor, stock room, work with and around cleaning chemicals, and lift/carry up to 30lbs.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including holiday, evening, overnight and weekend shifts
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Back to top