Assistant Designer - Girls
Since the beginning, we've been inspired by everything women and girls are capable of, whether they're serious athletes or just getting into fitness. We create versatile premium performance apparel designed for a life in motion. Challenge fuels us and we are always reaching for the amazing.
We're looking for people who find inspiration in the same things we do: the limitless potential of women and girls everywhere. If you share our passion for a healthy, active lifestyle, personal growth, innovative product and creating rewarding experiences - join our community. Athleta is a certified B Corp - put simply we put people and planet right up there with profit and we're committed to using business as a force for good.
Alone we are strong, united we thrive. Together, we create the Power of She.
As a member of the Design, and Product Development Team, you will join a team of designers to concept, design, and execute Athleta product to be sold through our catalog, website and retail stores. Your overarching goal will be to successfully combine performance with fashion in our products as well as to balance process and creativity in your practice.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Support your Design counterparts through the "Concepting Process" each season by: Support Design Team in establishing major themes, key trends and direction for the line including color, silhouette, fabric and print that is in keeping with the Athleta brand aesthetic
- Work with them to: Evaluate trend and color forecasting providing support for designers in identifying key themes
- Assist Designers in execution of trend and proto development
- Gather and identify relevant sport and activity trend information
- Assist in preparation for key meetings, setting up visuals and organizing samples
- Collaborate with Design Team to meet seasonal timelines
- Utilize trend direction, merchant driven historical selling information, competitive benchmarking, and customer feedback to oversee and vet the development of product (specifically sketch review) that wins on performance, style, quality and fit
- Support the graphic/textile designers in the preparation of materials and execution of artistic concepts for communication to and sampling by the vendor base
- Manage timelines and process to insure deadlines are met
- Support Design team to help with seasonal concepting
- Collaborate with Design team during line coloring process
- Collaborate with designers evaluate all first proto samples for accurate construction and design intent
- Collaborate with design and merchant team, evaluate photo samples for accuracy and execution
- Collaborate in preparation of materials for design meetings and seasonal line review presentations
- Assist the designers in the creation of product tech packs in hitting appropriate timeline
- Pre-press: review catalog images for color, product detail and fit depiction accuracy
- Organize and file trim and seasonal material submits
- College Degree - BS/BA in Apparel/Fashion Design
- 2 years professional design experience in performance, technical or Outdoor apparel
- Strong artistic background, portfolio a must
- Strong understanding of color, print and design
- Hands on design experience, flat sketching a must
- Fashion Influencer- excellent communication skills, ability to interpret trend appropriate for the Athleta Customer
- Strong organizational skills- proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and other CAD software
- Athletic expertise a plus
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a cross functional team environment
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Back to top