VP - Product Technology
Explore the possibilities as a VP – Product Technology reporting directly to the CPO.
The VP of Product Technology will serve as a catalyst in creating a true product technology function that focuses on the design and development of leading a network of engineers, technologists and project managers on all digital platforms and related technology solutions. By working collaboratively with software engineers, business leaders, designers, product and project managers, the VP of Product Technology will create and maintain a portfolio of products and solutions focused on transforming online experiences for Products within the USA Today Network. This role seeks an individual who will bring world-class capabilities to the Digital Product space – managing all product roadmaps, platform solutions, product feature delivery and align with the project management process.
Qualifications Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish the company’s technical vision for creating world-class digital products and lead all aspects of the company’s digital development in accordance with the goals and objectives of the product organization.
- Oversee product engineering and operations at Gannett Product. Manage principal core and local product and engineering leads. Responsible for managing the product engineering, operations and project management teams on all ideation, production and execution. Focus on delivering solutions that yield optimal performance in an efficient, scalable and profitable way.
- Manage a geographically distributed engineering organization with development, operations and project management teams located across the USA Today Network.
- Drive the selection of technology standards, tools and frameworks for vendors and partners.
- Work with Product Management and Product Design, and other cross functional teams in establishing product strategy, product roadmap and release plans.
- Evaluate new tools, technologies and open source frameworks, and recommend build vs. buy strategies.
- Recruit highly talented product resources and mentor them in advanced technologies and agile development process.
- Institutionalize Agile methodology and align the use of JIRA across all teams.
- Collaborate across product, development, platform and content teams to define, prioritize and develop scope of complex programs and projects.
- Develop and institutionalize a lean operating model to promote organizational effectiveness by supporting portfolio and product development flow through continuous improvement.
- Identify and resolve any issues affecting product stability and usability.
- Manages and prioritizes projects and workflow related to both content and revenue functions, and coordinates activities with the Information Technology department and others within and outside the organization.
- Stays abreast of new publishing techniques/technologies and current market trends and applies knowledge to site.
- Champion analytics-driven decisions.
- Minimizes duplication of product creation, formulates product requirements and prioritizes the development of the product roadmap with VP of Product Management and VP of UX.
- Lead development team in establishing best practices: enforcing standards and protocol.
- Reinforce accountability and responsibility for delivering highest quality and value technology solutions to projects.
- Partner with product management and creative to develop the best implementation solutions.
- Train direct reports on an ongoing basis regarding core competencies and best practices.
- 15 years or more of relative work experience within Technology
- 10 or more years of senior managerial experience within Technology, Digital Media/Internet driven business experience preferred
- Experience in large national or international companies with a geographically widespread workforce.
- Demonstrated leadership in executing against strategic and operational goals by managing workflows, allocating resources, identifying gaps and communicating and partnering with key stakeholders.
- Experience with budgets and schedules to meet corporate requirements
- Well versed in development of corporate methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects, programs, and people.
- BS or MS in an Information Technology related field, or equivalent relevant experience.
We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top