USA TODAY Newsroom Internships - Summer 2017, McLean, VA
USA TODAY is in search of a talented college student looking for an enriching paid internship. Come join USA TODAY, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, for our Summer 2017 Intern Program in McLean, VA. As part of the USA TODAY team, you will develop, integrate and apply skill sets and experiences in support of our newsroom team. The purpose of the internship experience is to provide opportunities where college (undergrad and grad) students can develop, grow and become the next generation of talent for USA TODAY. This program offers mentoring from those at the top of their game, networking and real-world experience in a fun, entrepreneurial atmosphere. As part of our team, you will work on meaningful and impactful projects, as well as enjoy peer-to-peer engagement while working on activities that promote professional development supplemental to the job. Come join us!
- USA TODAY newsroom interns will work with breaking news, features and enterprise content teams to learn and sharpen basic and advanced journalism skills, handling reporting, writing, editing, copy desk work, online production assignments, research, database work, investigative work and visual journalism.
- Interns will learn forms of alternative story-telling in a 24/7 deadline-driven newsroom.
- Interns will work independently and collaboratively across teams to provide perspectives and insights for newsroom and companywide projects identified by senior leadership as part of strategic growth initiatives. Critical thinking and analytical skills will be encouraged and sharpened.
- Interns will participate in daily news meetings, where they’ll learn about how news developments take shape.
- Degree-seeking student currently enrolled at a college or university with a GPA of at least 3.0
- Well organized, detail oriented, adaptable and flexible
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous internship experience. Access to published writing clips, design portfolio and video footage required as part of application assessment for all newsroom internship roles.
- Technical skills required for some visual journalism team jobs, such as video shooting and editing. Videographer interns should demonstrate strong knowledge of digital media conversion and compression for web-based output. Requires excellent PC and Macintosh skills. Candidates should be well versed with Final Cut Pro and video compression with Sorenson. Expertise in web video delivery, including live streaming, is a plus. Video editing interns must demonstrate expertise with audio-video editing and video compression programs, including Final Cut Pro, AVID and Sorenson. Technical expertise in Internet video delivery including live streaming, FTP and Digital Asset Management.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Back to top