Things to Do/Entertainment reporter
Things to Do/Entertainment reporter (Hamilton County)
If you like to be the “first to know and first to go” when something new happens in your city, this is the job for you. The IndyStar is looking for a reporter to cover things to do and lifestyle trends in the fast-growing suburbs of Indianapolis, including Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Westfield and Zionsville.
You’re the living insider’s guide to the events, people, scenes and trends that interest your audience. You’ll bring your distinct view to your coverage, social media and personal appearances at events (including events that you may work with the Star’s marketing department to plan), and on local media outlets. This position will allow you to explore a broad range of topics, including arts and culture, music, retail, restaurants, nightlife, social scenes, fitness and community/neighborhood events in Hamilton County.
That’s right – you get paid to have fun. And you’ll be living in a metro area that’s among one of America’s best places to live. Food & Wine magazine just called the Indy dining scene a “rising star in the Midwest.” Lonely Planet named Indianapolis “America’s Most Surprising City” – in a good way, in a 2014 article, http://bit.ly/1P60agt.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES
- Produce multi-platform stories that have high-impact readership, using a well-developed personal brand and distinctive voice. These range from breaking news to multi-source enterprise stories, leveraging the best use of words, photos, videos and interactives to tell the story.
- Hold cultural/entertainment organizations accountable for fiscal responsibility.
- Collaborate and connect with the community through outreach (social media, public appearances, community leadership, etc.)
- Work with newsroom content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Produce strong journalism with minimal supervision.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Knowledge & skills required:
- Social-media skills
- Experience with storytelling techniques on multiple platforms
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Bachelor’s in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- 2 + years of applicable experience
- Note: Please send a link to view your work if you apply to this position
What we offer: As a part of Gannett Co., Inc., we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), pto-paid time off, personal and sick leave, and tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
“Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.”
Back to top