The Montgomery Advertiser, an Associated Press Sports Editors’ recognized news organization that is part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a sports reporter/producer to work in the heart of the Southeastern Conference. We want an energetic individual capable of producing features and game-day content for preps and colleges, developing sources and providing analysis with personality while employing the latest social media and mobile reporting and productions techniques.
In this role as a Reporter, you will:
- Use multimedia storytelling tools on tight deadlines for our print and digital platforms.
- Provide all the appropriate elements for the story (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Contribute to the growth and daily management of social-media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and SnapChat).
- Monitor the success of content topics using analytics tools to refine content strategy
In this role as a Producer, you will:
- Manage the delivery of content to digital and print platforms and meet deadlines. Work with planning editor, content coach, reporters and photographers to best display content on all platforms, using a high level of judgment and creativity. Collaborate with engagement editors to maximize handing off to a design studio.
- Manage the home pages, story pages and high-traffic landing pages. Direct the flow of content, sending breaking news emails and push alerts, adding meta-data information, hyperlinks, images, info boxes, and additional digital content. Write digital headlines and summaries, taking into account SEO and key word elements.
- Optimize, aggregate and package assets for print and digital publication. Assemble, format, prioritize and ensure quality control on all printed content before it is handed off to the design studio.
- Edit content for publication-readiness, including clarity, fairness, legality, spelling, grammar, punctuation and style.
- Use metrics to monitor real-time data determine traffic patterns and direct changes tied to the data.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Our Ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field
- Solid core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms.
- Be self-motivated and self-directed, with exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi‐task, under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing and editing).
- Ability to interpret audience data, and edit top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- An outside the box thinker, with the ability to apply innovative and creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Must be willing to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Must have a driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle.
- A background in creating content for mobile and digital audiences, to include video, social media and podcast experiences is highly desired.
Here’s what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Employee Discount Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
About USA TODAY NETWORK: The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top