Sports Beat - Enterprise
IndyStar is looking for a digitally savvy sports reporter who wants to help a Top 10 APSE newspaper generate buzz, provide great content and enthrall readers.
This reporter understands that enterprise in the current media climate is not just about 75-inch stories but also quick-turn topical features and thinking visually, with an emphasis on video. The position also includes traditional high-end sports enterprise, including profiles, projects and other longer-term work, as well as covering social issues and trends.
This reporter will engage with the audience, promote content and find new storylines through social media. This reporter will follow national sports news and identify stories we need to localize for our audience, and will occasionally be called upon to provide backup assistance on the Indiana Pacers beat.
Main Function of the Job: Produces high-end digital and print sports enterprise, including digital-only content, profiles, projects and investigations, coverage of social issues and trends, and lighter features. Follows national sports news and identifies stories that should be localized for our readers. Coordinates with beat reporters to develop complementary content that touches on their areas.
Typical Job Duties
- Explores all possibilities for visuals / added value for these high-level stories, including photos, graphics, documents, illustrations.
- Establishes or builds upon a big presence on social media, and, working with supervisor and marketing.
- Establishes a brand.
- Ensures we deliver excellent planned content for big local sports events.
- Meets deadlines.
- Uses social media to build audience and establish her/his position/brand in the market.
- Helps plan enterprise for big events in advance so we have a great coverage plan and revenue opportunities can be explored. Works on enterprise content in the background of daily work.
- Packages content. Considers what pieces are needed — video, photos, graphic, illustration, database, links, etc. — to tell the story in the best way. Works with the right people to execute this content.
- Posts content.
- Meets Deadlines
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in an always-on workday.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Bachelor’s in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- Five years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- What we offer: As a part of Gannett Co., Inc., we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), pto-paid time off, personal and sick leave, and tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
“Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.”
Back to top