Sioux Falls Business Journal Editor
The Argus Leader is searching for the next Sioux Falls Business Journal editor to continue to grow this successful brand in the community. This individual will research, write and report compelling journalism that continuously grows audience by informing and engaging readers. Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media. Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change. Work with the senior leadership team to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. Contributes to the community’s greater good through journalism of consequence.
In this role, you will:
- Be the spearhead of our business coverage. Emphasizing trends, demographics, retail changes, business openings/closings, economic impact of legislation and efforts in workforce development and everything related to the business of Sioux Falls and South Dakota.
- Covers business news that rises to high enough news value, with a heavy emphasis on digital content through the work week.
- Manages the weekly print publication of the Sioux Falls Business Journal.
- Aggressively uses social media and video to continue the SFBJ brand’s place as the source to go to for business news in the community.
- Identifies key trends in the community, state and national business scene to write topical enterprise packages.
- Serves as the liaison between the Argus Leader and the business community, its supporters and its critics.
- Develops strong relationships with dealmakers, realtors, retailers and developers.
- Anticipates opportunities to report and write stories on timely subjects from his/her beat in addition to quick reaction to breaking news on the beat, while maintaining a workflow that includes longer-range projects.
- Uses metrics to shape coverage and writing. Provides thoughtful analysis of topics in a range of ways, including writing stories, making public appearances in person or appearing on radio and television shows, and connecting with the Sioux Falls Business Journal audience on various digital platforms, including social media, blogging and writing columns.
- Works with coach, engagement editor, marketing, and community partners to develop community connections, such as forums, seminars or other appropriate outreach efforts.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education
- Experience in daily journalism preferred, but not required
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms
- Proven ability to connect with the community through social media and public forums
- Proficiency at using metrics and other tools to understand, respond to and grow audience
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing)
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Strong organizational Skills
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space
- Photo and video skills
- Effective communications skills with diverse personalities
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment
- Proven track record of effective time management in a 24-hour news environment
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment
- Embraces peer-to-peer feedback and training
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals
- Mastery of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, proof of insurance and their own transportation.
Here’s what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Employee Discount Program
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top