Senior Payroll Manager
Senior Payroll Manager
Gannett is looking for a Senior Manager, Payroll in Milwaukee, WI. Gannett is a media and marketing solutions company with a diverse portfolio of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing companies. The Senior Manager, will manage the activities of the payroll team within a centralized payroll department in carrying out responsibility for payroll preparations/processing, tax reporting, benefits-records administration and payroll system maintenance.
- Manage all functions of the payroll operation and related functions by exemplifying a compliance and service-oriented approach with all payroll department team members as well as internal and external partners. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring that all payroll transactions are processed accurately and on time, identifying opportunities for process improvement and effectively managing the performance of all direct reports.
- Hire, train and provide ongoing development opportunities for payroll operations staff. This development includes training on all payroll and case management systems. This also includes training on all payroll practices to ensure compliance with wage and labor laws, Federal, State and Local laws, and all Gannett policies and procedures as they relate to payment of employees.
- Partner with Accounting and Treasury to verify that all payroll payments are properly recorded in the General Ledger, that all payroll-related accounts are reconciled properly, and that all payments are reflected accurately on each employee’s record. Identify and establish auditing practices and procedures in partnership with Internal Audit that ensure segregation of duties and proper financial control.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest developments in payroll-related areas including technology, Federal, State and Local government regulations and applying knowledge to identify and implement process improvements.
- Manage day to day payroll vendor relationships with vendor account managers to ensure service levels are met.
- Responsible for managing payroll system updates
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- CPP designation preferred
- 7 – 10 years multi-state payroll processing for a large employer with a minimum of 10,000 employees required
- Minimum 5 years prior management experience required
- Strong knowledge of wage and hour laws and multi state taxation required
- Strong MS Excel spreadsheet knowledge required
- Ceridian/DayForce experience a plus
- Strong knowledge of payroll systems
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated team-building and development skills
- Strong customer service and analytical skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required
Back to top