Senior NoSQL/API Developer
Gannett Technology is seeking a Senior Software Developer to join our Audience Platform team focused on new initiatives for Gannett’s nationwide consumer audience. The Audience Platform Development team is working to design and implement our next generation implementation of a world-class enterprise user management system capable of scaling to support our entire audience of more than 100 million users.
Technologies and Disciplines
The Gannett Audience Platform is a polyglot environment utilizing a number of technologies:
- Stack: Node.js, Python
- Data: REST API’s interacting with Couchbase, Solr, RabbitMQ
- CI: Jenkins and TeamCity
- Environment: Amazon AWS through Scalr and Chef
We use GitHub for source control with a GitHub Flow code review and merge protocol. We aim for comprehensive unit and integration test coverage (using Mocha and Tape), and follow Agile process methods, with defined sprints for specific feature development.
As a Senior Developer, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Analyze, design, and coordinate the development major components of a world-class audience management system and downstream APIs including hands on implementation, testing, review, and documentation
- Work with stakeholders during the requirement gathering and acceptance testing process
- Troubleshoot operational issues as required
- Utilize a DevOps toolset
- Ensure coding best practices and test coverage through peer reviewing
- Integrate internal as well as third-party web services and components
- Consistently follow and continue to help improve our processes including source control, deployment and issue tracking
- Document solutions to institutionalize knowledge for the development, operational, support, and end user communities
- Mentor junior team members
A Senior Developer is expected to work effectively as an autonomous member of our team. As such we are looking for:
- Minimum 5 years development and integration experience
- 3 years experience with Node.js or Python, Rest APIs, NoSQL Databases, Queueing systems like RabbitMQ or similar
- Experience with data driven systems with a solid understanding of database structures, queries and search
- Experience modeling data in a NoSQL database
- Experience debugging and analyzing issues in a complex, service oriented environment
- Practical knowledge of software development methodologies
- Experience in or general awareness of cloud based technologies like AWS, Google Cloud, Azure
- Bachelor’s degree expected in a technical discipline, but compensating experience may be considered
We’d be delighted if you also had experience with any of the following:
- JIRA and Confluence
- Build automation
- Automated test tools
- Working knowledge of Go
- Developing and deploying applications hosted in AWS or similar cloud environments
- Working with and developing customer relationship management systems
We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top