Sales Manager, Automotive Advertising - Detroit
Automotive Advertising Sales Manager
Michigan.com, part of the USA Today Network, and Michigan’s Largest Media Marketing Company,
Our formula is simple – We combine the largest news and information audience in the state with the top multi-platform marketing experts to provide businesses with a single partner with one purpose, to help them grow. We deliver the trusted brands of Michigan’s largest audience, including the Detroit Free Press/freep.com, The Detroit News/detroitnews.com, O&E Media/hometownlife, Livingston Daily Press & Argus, Lansing State Journal, Battle Creek Enquirer, and Port Huron Times Herald, combined with proven research, creative, strategy and marketing expertise.
We are seeking a high-achieving, strategic, and results-oriented Manager, Automotive Sales, for the Detroit-Metro market who can provide inspiring leadership, implement best practices, drive results for clients, and grow revenue and market share. This individual leads and manages a local sales advertising team to achieve digital and total revenue goals for the automotive segment. The Manager, Automotive Sales must be able to identify and understand the automotive customer base, the use of data/analytics and insights specific to the automotive customer (market share, inventory, audience targeting, etc.), market potential, and be skilled in the development and execution of sales plans and best practices. The ideal candidate will also have significant sales experience with digital marketing products and services. Competencies in training, recruiting and developing an energetic, and committed world-class sales team is a must. Candidate must be able to inspire change and lead progressive team transformation. The position requires travel within the Detroit metro area and reports to the Director, Automotive, Sales, Michigan Region.
- Ensure execution and adoption of sales strategies, plans and best practices to increase digital and overall revenue growth and achieve budgeted goals.
- Work directly with Auto sales team including Multimedia Account Executives, Digital Sales Executives, Account Managers, and Account Coordinators to provide leadership in the development and closing of sales opportunities, providing expertise to directly drive revenue.
- Collaborate with Sales & Marketing Division partners to execute programs that foster world-class sales behavior, values, development, and best practices.
- Coach and develop local market sales executives (including team meetings, one-on-ones, professional development, etc.) to generate world class sales multiplatform results and ensure plans and best practices are implemented and tracked.
- Collaborate with HR talent acquisition team to recruit sophisticated sellers focused on sales revenue growth and digital transformation.
- Provide leadership in key areas including sales strategy, products/packaging/pricing, etc., to assist in overall revenue performance improvement.
- Manage performance management actions.
- Identify sales growth opportunities, as well as market challenges, and work with sales representatives to develop and implement innovative action plans.
- Overachieves: consistently meets and exceeds revenue goals.
- Holds staff accountable to revenue goals, objectives, KPIs and other metrics.
- Always aware of performance to goal, measures sales executive performance by revenue to goal, quarterly and annually.
- Manages staff to consistently maintain a forward, robust pipeline.
- Establishes aggressive but realistic goals for staff; incorporates staff’s input in the goal setting process.
- Maintains a full staff of highly-skilled, high performing sales executives.
- Creates effective formal activity metrics for staff.
- Develops a strong sales plan with team and holds staff accountable for achieving their plans.
- Utilizes deep understanding of market and competition.
- Creates and executes on plan to grow total and digital market share based on potential.
- Utilizes creativity and strategic thinking to accelerate sales.
- Drives consultative, customer-centric selling behaviors.
- Provides appropriate mix of direction and strategy.
- Develops by modeling and coaching to expected behaviors.
- Conducts ongoing assessments of individual and team performance.
- Spends appropriate time developing staff.
- Recommends appropriate training and monitors for performance.
- Holds weekly, effective one-on-ones.
- Develops bench strength for future internal opportunities and business demands.
- Consistently executes World Class Sales, sales management system.
- Inspires and motivates others.
- Identifies and removes obstacles to top performance.
- Builds consensus among team and other internal partners.
- Holds weekly sales meetings that educate and motivate.
- Over communicates the vision, standards, strategy and goals to their team.
- Seeks to hire only world class sales people who meet our core competencies.
- Follows on-going recruiting regimen; meets with potential candidates on an ongoing basis.
- Networks through course of daily activities.
- “Sells” the organization to candidates.
- Takes ownership for recruiting while partnering with HR to execute strategy.
- Embraces and communicates World Class Sales vision.
- Exhibits collaborative behavior that motivates and inspires others.
- Embraces change and models positive behavior for others.
- Welcomes coaching and strives for improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising or related degree.
- Minimum 7+ years’ sales experience with a proven track record in building and growing a multiple M+ revenue business. Significant sales experience with digital marketing products and services.
- Proven successful experience in a leadership sales role. Ability to build and to manage a B2B sales organization.
- Ability to maintain a deep and broad understanding of the market (e.g., customers, prospects, and key trends. An understanding of competitive media in the market.
- Experience in supervision/management position preferred.
- Sales experience in the automotive space preferred, with an understanding of the customer’s operation, decision-making, competitive environment, and needs.
- Experience in a leading-edge organization that makes a best-practices sales culture a top priority.
- Demonstratable track record in successfully penetrating and growing B2B accounts. Strong skills in integrating analytics, market insights, strategies, account planning and other best sales practices to create and execute successful growth.
- Strong communication, negotiation, and influencing skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated success in a goal-oriented, highly accountable environment.
- Problem-solving and decision making skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
USA TODAY NETWORK is one of the top 20 digital companies in the country, sharing the list with Google, Facebook, and Amazon. And we have over 100 million unique visitors a month, which is more than Buzzfeed, Yahoo News, and Huffington Post. Because our team consists of over 110 local properties with USA TODAY at the helm, you’ll have the luxury of living in a community you love while making a national impact.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top