Reporter -Sumner County
REPORTER, SUMNER COUNTY
The Gannett Co., Inc., part of the USA Today Network, is seeking an experienced reporter for the Sumner County bureau in Gallatin. This reporter will be responsible for
providing advance coverage of upcoming community events, in high-value form or curated lists. This reporter will also provide ongoing enterprise coverage of local dining and entertainment and produce high-value digital content with visuals and handle other news or features reporting as needed.
Typical Job Duties:
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with news director and editors to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (e.g., photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor’s in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Exceptional core journalism skills
- Must exercise solid news judgment, quick thinking and appropriate responses to high-pressure situations
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money
- Self-motivation and self-direction
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space
- Photo and video skills
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment
- Knows how to use time effectively in an always-on workday
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style
- Industry knowledge
- Organizational skills
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top