Are you a high-energy, think-outside-the-norm reporter and writer who is willing to use whatever platform and style of writing needed to captivate digital readers?
The Carlsbad Current-Argus, a Gannett Company and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an energy/general assignments Reporter to cover this dynamic area across platforms, with particular focus on enterprising journalism in a rapidly expanding region. Candidates need to exhibit an enthusiasm for digital journalism. That said, a candidate needs old-school reporting, production skills and the experience and vision to conceive, edit and showcase stories. The candidate should also be adept at working with other reporters on overlapping issues, such as the environment.
Breaking news is our marquee functions as we are the dominant media in the area. Candidates should have the ability to turn a breaking news story quickly, both for our website and social media, and for the next day print product.
Our reporters must be willing to take risks while consistently cultivating content that’s appealing to 25-45 year-old readers. This reporter will lead the charge for reporting in the digital age. Everything this reporter produces will be for our digital and mobile audiences first and foremost. The ideal candidate will be flexible, nimble and curious. This reporter will be required to find and jump on stories that have a high social value and are easily shareable. He or she should be prepared to move quickly and aggressively. The top applicant will be savvy with social media, and will demonstrate an ability to use a variety of platforms to engage readers and drive web traffic to his or her stories. A willingness to be aggressive and open using Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Periscope and other tools to communicate with readers is a must. If you have an outgoing personality and are willing to be the face and expert of everything hip and current in our community, this is the job you’ve been looking for. We put a premium on personal integrity, teamwork, problem solving, a strong work ethic, accountability and winning.
If you want to get away for a weekend, we are a short driving distance from two national parks, a national forest, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, skiing in Ruidoso and what is jokingly considered New Mexico’s largest city – El Paso.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor’s in Communications, English, Journalism or related field.
- 1-3 years of reporting experience at a weekly or daily newspaper.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and “publication ready.”
- Social-media savvy and expertise.
- Effective communicator; able to work with diverse personalities.
- Digital production know-how and expertise preferred.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Photo and video skills.
- Able to multi-task and excel on a busy beat under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Digital production know-how and expertise preferred.
- Spanish-speaking ability a plus.
Here’s what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive compensation plan, career growth opportunities and continuous training. We also offer you a full benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, employee discounts and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and contributions you make, up to the first 5% eligible for a 100% Company match!
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Connect with us on LinkedIn
Back to top