The Ithaca Journal, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, a top global digital media company, which reaches more than 100 million people monthly through a powerful network of mobile & publishing properties, is seeking an energetic, self-motivated Reporter for its government accountability beat..
The reporter covers city and county government and works with a regional Watchdog team to develop local and upstate New York investigative work. The position is ideal for a reporter with some reporting experience to develop deep investigative skills, including public records reporting and database journalism. The reporter will be part of a regional watchdog team that includes highly experienced investigative journalists, including three data specialists, from Binghamton and Elmira.
Ithaca, one of the most beautiful communities in the Northeast, is home to Cornell University and Ithaca College and has a college town feel with great cultural amenities for a city of its size.
In this role, you will:
- Publish and optimize content to all digital platforms for SEO and maximum views per visit.
- Edit content for accuracy, clarity, tone and style.
- Publish content to social channels for maximum impact.
- Arrange content on digital platforms for key audiences.
- Work closely and collaboratively with lateral peers, this includes functioning as a team with other producers and working across disciplines with reporters, editors and visual journalists to ensure a variety of content is well-represented.
- Work across the newsroom and under the consumer experience director or planning editor as needed to ensure that content is planned for dayparting or audience development.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, Mass Communications or equivalent years of experience in a related field
- Five years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base
- Strong background in creating content for mobile and digital audiences, to include video, social media and podcast experience.
- Ability to work in cross functional teams
- Creativity to generate own story ideas and build a loyal audience
- Exceptional cross-‐platform storytelling skills.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Self-motivated and self-directed, knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities, with an advanced knowledge of social media and how to respond and engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Able to multi-‐task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment
Here’s what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Employee Discount Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
About USA TODAY NETWORK: The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 109 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products.
To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top